Chapter Six

It turned out that Iloyu's idea wasn't as absurd as Palya expected. Even Magulana thought that carrying it out was worth a shot. As soon as the sky-goddess deemed their tolerance for Natngilaka's magic adequate, they took their leave and ventured to their next destination.

The portal that Magulana summoned led to a different domain, one so lush with vegetation that Palya almost mistook it for the orchards surrounding her mountain village. Instead of marble columns, the place had bamboo trellises, airy pavilions of dark wood, and open aviaries where doves and other birds could rest for the night.

Orchids, hibiscus, and foreign blossoms Palya couldn't put a name to grew in clay planters bordering manicured lawns of soft grass.

A woven picnic blanket covered the center of one of these lawns. Palya noticed two figures, one male and one female, sitting atop it. Various savory dishes, musical instruments, and scrolls surrounded them.

"So, our neighbors have finally dropped by." The man on the picnic blanket hailed them over. "Welcome to the verdant garden, Palya."

The earth-god grinned from ear to ear as he stood. He stepped over the various items strewn on the ground with the stealth and speed of a cat. Once he was close enough, he bent down, conjured a plumbago from the earth, and plucked it to give to Palya.

"Thank you for having us, God Tungi." Palya blushed as she received the welcome gift from the earth-god. She recognized the gesture for what it truly was—an offer of hope and good wishes in the face of her ordeal. "I apologize for arriving earlier than expected."

"I was growing bored anyway. A lack of visitors does that to people." Tungi stepped aside so she and Iloyu could make their own way to the woven mat. "They're hard to come by since there's only four of us around. And before you came along, we were only three."

"What about the previous void-deity?" Palya asked.

"He slumbered until the day of his death," the earth-god said behind her. She almost tripped on a flute upon hearing his words.

Luckily, the ever-vigilant Iloyu managed to grab her wrist and pull her back before she could fall. Palya smiled up at him after she regained her footing. Words of gratitude perched on her tongue, ready to grace his ears as soon as he looked her way.

Unfortunately, something else had already caught his attention.

"Am I seeing things, or is there a wood sprite sitting on the grass?"

Sure enough, the woman that Tungi had been keeping company with earlier didn't look human upon second glance. She had the same features, but her bronze complexion seemed to have a layer of stardust because it glittered. Dark dots bordered her eyes of bitter lime green, while pointy-tipped ears framed her rosy cheeks and petite nose.

Like the stories about wood sprites described, the woman had a barely discernible philtrum.

Palya couldn't help but stare at the beautiful wood sprite—and think about how shabby and plain she was in comparison. After all, she was neither dark nor fair, and she lacked any pronounced features that would have enhanced her oval-shaped face. It was no wonder that, beside her, Iloyu appeared star-struck.

"She's my oracle, Sir Iloyu." Tungi passed them and held his hand out for the wood sprite. "Introduce yourself, my little pea flower."

The woman accepted his assistance and rose. She stood no taller than Palya, but her straight back and open, confident expression more than made up for her lack of height. The sprite curtsied without letting go of the earth-god's hand.

"My name is Walha of the Verdant Garden," she said, her voice light and lilting. "It's an honor to meet you, Goddess Palya. And your companion, of course."