Chapter Thirteen

Palya, Iloyu, and the oracles stared at the hazy vision of the low valley village. Flying debris and a heavy rainshower within the illusion obscured any remaining houses that the floodwater hadn't claimed. Lightning pierced the chaotic swirl of clouds hovering above the settlement.

The sky-goddess' oracle pointed from one end of the village to the other.

"It's all flooded," Likoda said. "From the mouth of the river at the mountainside, right down to the rice paddies bordering the village. The water's still rising. We weren't expecting any unsummoned rains to fall this soon."

Palya gulped. She had never seen such destruction before. She wondered how the villagers were faring and whether they'd found safe places for shelter.

Toho stepped closer to her and explained why they had opted to rush to the mystic garden.

"The rain has to stop, or the whole place will drown. Lana can't do anything because her blessing is still around. Ugut's too." Toho clasped her shoulder and looked her in the eye. "It has to be you, Palya."

The water-god's oracle wasn't the only one who begged for her cooperation.

Walha approached her from the other side. The earth-god's oracle waved her hand over the vision, and different streaks of color began to taint various parts of the image. Each color represented the traces of magic that belonged to the other gods.

"You have to remove the rain and undo part of the warmth that's lingering behind the clouds." Walha gestured to the blue and yellow ribbons of light that stood for Ugut and Magulana's spells, respectively.

The void-goddess turned to Iloyu. Her resolve to fulfill her duties battled with her desire to see him safe. She didn't want to make this important decision without consulting him for the last time.

"Iloyu." Palya raised her hand, and the man grasped it.

"I've said my piece, Palya." Iloyu laced their fingers and smiled. He took one step in her direction and never wavered from her worried gaze. "I'll respect your decision, whatever it is."

Now that she had his permission to do as she wished, she turned towards the illusion and banished it with a wave of her novice hand. She managed to dispel it after a second try. Palya then cleared her throat and addressed the other oracles.

"I'd like to speak with Iloyu alone," she said.

The oracles looked at each other before nodding. They remained beside the winding staircase that led to the second-story balcony. Palya and Iloyu, however, moved to the center of the courtyard.

"What is it?" Iloyu asked as soon as they were out of eavesdropping distance. He still held onto her hand, but Palya didn't mind.

"Do you remember what Sir Toho said? About Natngilaka's magic protecting you?" She spoke quietly so that he wouldn't be alarmed.

"Yes." Iloyu raised one eyebrow. His fingers didn't so much as twitch in her hold. "And?"

"What if you stayed here, where the realm's magic can help dampen and delay the effects of my power?" Palya suggested.

Only then did the man let go of her. Instead, he moved his hands to her lower arms and tugged her nearer. They didn't press hard enough to bruise, but they did feel tight and impossible to slip away from.

"But you'll be facing that flood alone," Iloyu said. His eyebrows had curled down, along with the corners of his mouth. "It might be dangerous. I don't want anything to happen to you, Palya."

As much as she adored the man for always putting her safety first, she finally realized that this couldn't go on. The taming bond would forever rule their lives if she depended on Iloyu's sacrifice all the time. It wasn't fair to him or to herself.