Chapter Twelve

Palya didn't hear from the others after Ugut volunteered to take care of the problem at the low valley village. She didn't receive any more banquet invitations either, as everyone was likely too busy to host another one at the moment. The seasons in the human realm were changing, and it was a precarious period that needed the gods' guidance more than ever.

At any other time, she would have rejoiced at the chance to stay in the mystic garden. She would be alone with Iloyu, after all. She could use this chance to get closer to him.

But after greeting him on that balcony, she had done the opposite.

Palya tried not to spend too much time in his presence, fearing that he might discover the crisis weighing heavily on her mind. Knowing Iloyu, he would immediately protest her decision to undo their taming bond without a valid reason. He was far too noble to abandon her.

He was also too skilled at finding her for his own good.

She had purposefully chosen to wear her green, flutter-sleeved top and skirt in hopes of blending in with the foliage. She'd also tucked herself away in an inconspicuous corner of the garden, far from the hot spring that she'd been frequenting lately. Despite these precautions, a much improved Iloyu still managed to track her down.

"You've been avoiding me." Iloyu came to her side and lowered himself onto the grass.

"I was merely relaxing by myself." Palya stayed put, with her legs drawn together and her chin tucked behind her raised knees. She knew that jumping up and running away would only rouse the man's suspicions.

"You don't look relaxed." He cupped his jaw in one hand and ran his gaze over her form. "Also, you're a terrible liar."

Palya shrugged. She was so tired and distressed by the most recent happenings that she couldn't muster the energy to refute his claim. Her sigh ruffled the loose strands of hair hanging over her forehead.

"It seems that I need to practice more." Palya attempted to smile, but her lips didn't cooperate. Instead, they curled up in a poor imitation that quickly fell away.

Iloyu noticed her facial expression and shook his head. He shuffled closer to her and playfully nudged her side. He sat near enough that his leg would touch her toe if he moved it an inch farther to the left.

"There's no need to practice for something as devious as that. You should know by now that you have no reason to lie to me." He perched his chin on her hunched shoulder and closed his eyes. "I'll hear whatever truth you hold in your heart without horror or hatred."

Palya froze. Her breath caught in her throat, and her heart thrummed as swiftly as the wings of a buzzing bee. Color bloomed on her cheeks, tinting them in shades of red that almost matched the roses surrounding their quiet resting spot.

In that moment, she discovered how it truly felt to receive unconditional love.

Her own father had never said these words to her before. His staff and servants hadn't spoken like this to her either. No human had ever told her that they would listen to her and understand.

"That's easy to say when you haven't heard the truth yet," Palya said, hoping to dissuade him, although it hurt to do so. Unfortunately, the man persisted as usual.

"Then speak," he urged.

"You'll hate me."

"I won't," he promised.

She couldn't keep denying him forever. Palya gave in to his request, but not without fear or shame. Her news would puzzle him, at best.

At worst, it might disappoint him.