Chapter Seven

They saw the mouth of a large cave, bathed in dusky shadows, as soon as they stepped out of Tungi's portal. Their steps echoed against the rock walls as they approached the entrance. As the portal closed behind them, the light it emitted receded and revealed the sparkling quartz crystals and stalactites decorating the cavern.

Palya's eyes fell on the granite balustrade at the very back of the cave. Tall candles of gold-colored wax stood proudly in porcelain dishes placed along the rail. A break in the balustrade allowed passage to a staircase carved directly from the ground.

It descended into the cave and ended at a much smaller opening bordered by luminescent rocks.

Palya looked towards Iloyu, who smiled at her upon noticing her gaze.

"Are you excited?" he asked.

"A little." Palya licked her lips and contemplated their situation. Their days of adjusting to Natngilaka had finally paid off, since they could now come and go into the deepest part of the realm. "I've never had a house to myself before, let alone a whole domain. I've also never lived underground."

She recalled her circumstances before becoming a goddess and realized just how different it was. Back home, she'd had to live alongside her father and the countless staff he'd employed to keep an eye on her. Any wrong move she made, they reported back to him so he could give her a proper lecture.

She'd worn the most lavish clothes, eaten the best foods, and occasionally mingled with important people. But all that luxury had happened under the control of her father. When the man didn't need her to display their ostentatious wealth, he'd return her to a room flanked by guards at all hours of the day.

"I'm most concerned about that part of our deal," Iloyu said, disrupting her train of thought. He offered his hand to her. "It might be dangerous down there, Miss Palya. Make sure to stick close to me."

Palya smiled. Just seeing his open palm wait for her touch calmed her. Already, her new home felt more welcoming because Iloyu was there to offer his support.

"Of course." She twined their fingers and descended the staircase. Once they reached the lower landing, they proceeded through the smaller channel.

They emerged from the narrow hallway—and into a massive canyon so beautiful that it made Palya gasp.

Balconies, apartments, and other smaller chambers occupied the walls of the mystic garden. They all overlooked a central courtyard with brick pathways, steaming hot springs, and small, natural basins that shot water from out of the ground. Paper lanterns hung from one side of the cavern to the other, supported in increments by bamboo poles painted red and gold.

The lanterns cast their soft light over flower beds and Iloyu's bewildered face.

"Well, this is unexpected," he said, leading Palya further into the courtyard.

"It's beautiful down here." Palya swiveled her head from one side of the garden to the other so that she could appreciate her full surroundings. Her eyes glittered with excitement as she recognized the flowers surrounding them. "Look, Iloyu! So many roses!"

"It seems like we lucked out."

"I'd like to see our living spaces," Palya suggested, pointing to a winding brick staircase that led to the upper chambers. Iloyu didn't need any convincing to follow her there.

They spent the next half hour peeking into decorated dining areas, cozy sitting nooks, stocked pantries, warm kitchens, and lavish treasuries. They even found a room that contained enough clothes and jewelry to last the rest of their lives. Another spot housed a smith's furnace and a pottery wheel, which led Palya to wonder if the previous deity or oracle had been fond of these hobbies at one point.