Chapter 12

With a heavy, drawn-out sigh, Allistair reluctantly handed over the incriminating documents. As I scanned through them, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of my stomach like a lead weight. The devastating reality of our fathers' betrayal was palpable.

"They're planning to use our high-profile engagement as a distraction tactic," Allistair explained, his voice dripping with bitter venom as he raked a hand through his disheveled hair. "Then they'll swoop in behind the scenes to seize control of the board while everyone's focus is split."

I could practically see the gears turning in his brilliant, analytical mind, rapidly dissecting every angle of their elaborate scheme.

"They wouldn't stoop this low," I exclaimed in disbelief, desperately wanting to cling to the idea that my father still had some shred of morality. Deep down, I knew their greed knew no bounds.

Allistair looked at me with sympathy. "Think about it, Tal. By announcing our engagement at the last minute right before the shareholder meeting, they maintain plausible deniability that this was all premeditated. They can claim they only just decided on it spontaneously."

It made sense. If they had been too overt too early, it could have tipped us off and given us more time to uncover their true corrupt motives.

"Not to mention," Allistair continued, "they wanted to keep us distracted with wedding planning and honeymoon activities leading up to the meeting. Leaving us with less time to potentially interfere."

I shuddered at how calculated, manipulative, and utterly devoid of conscience their ploy was. Following the protocols and traditions around announcements of this magnitude at meetings also provided a veneer of legitimacy.

"They underestimated us, thinking our love would cloud our judgment to their manipulation." I said bitterly. "Their greed and arrogance blinded them."

Allistair nodded grimly. "Exactly. By waiting until now, they no doubt thought we'd be too occupied to realize they were positioning themselves to merge the companies behind the scenes."

The implications washed over me like ice water. "Combining SteelCorp's production capabilities with Lockwood's distribution network...they'd have a monopoly. The power to manipulate entire economies, governments even."

"A power they know you and I would never wield to such extremes," Allistair said, his voice heavy. "That's why marrying us off wasn't enough for their plans."

I felt physically ill realizing the depths of my own father's deception. If we didn't stop them at this meeting, there would be no reining in their ambitions.

"Please tell me you have a way to stop them," I pleaded, feeling our game clock running critically short on time.

A spark of determination flashed in Allistair's eyes. "I may have one desperate gambit left to play, but it's a long shot."

I felt a glimmer of hope, but the pragmatic side of me couldn't help but consider our other potential choices, no matter how unpalatable. "What about...what if we just refused to go through with the engagement at the meeting?"

Allistair tensed, clearly having already turned over that idea extensively. "It's not off the table, but an outright public rebellion of that magnitude carries severe risks we may not be prepared for. A defiant spectacle like that could slow their short-term plans by removing the engagement distraction entirely. However..." he trailed off grimly.

"However?" I prompted, my stomach twisting itself into tighter knots.

Letting out a slow breath, Allistair continued, "Given our fathers' vindictive natures and pettiness, they might retaliate cutting us of completely. Leaving us powerless to stop them from the outside."