Chapter 3

The mall was supposed to be a fun distraction, but I couldn't stop replaying the mortifying scene from earlier. Allistair rushing to help that mousy girl after she assaulted my favorite Louboutins—the ultimate insult. My perfect boyfriend defending a disrespectful nobody over me, his queen.

"Earth to Tahlia!" Teresa's shrill voice dragged me back to the present, her fingers snapping obnoxiously inches from my face as she and Tamara waited by the entrance to Bellissima.

I glared at the smirk playing across Teresa's full red lips. "Your frowning is out of control. We'll need industrial-strength Botox to fix your face at this rate."

How dare she threaten my flawless face! I bristled, hands on my hips. "As if I'd let anyone inject my face with poison! Unlike you basic bitches, my beauty is au naturel, thanks to my superior genes." I tossed my honey blonde hair over my shoulder with a satisfied smirk.

Teresa rolled her eyes. "If you say so, Bambi." Without waiting for my retort, she turned on her skyscraper heels and sashayed through the boutique's doors, her lithe frame swaying hypnotically as always.

Tamara linked her arm through mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Don't listen to 'Miss super model', you look gorgeous as ever." She stuck her tongue out playfully at Teresa's retreating figure. " Why don't we go inside and treat you to some ravishing new shoes? That always cheers you up!"

I beamed at the sweet-faced brunette, feeling a surge of affection. For all of Teresa's biting wit and killer supermodel looks, Tamara never failed to defend me with that surprisingly sharp tongue hiding behind her doe-eyed innocence.

The plush ivory carpeting muffled our steps as we moved further into the racks of designer dresses and gowns. Tamara kept drifting toward a rainbow display of curve-hugging midi dresses.

"Ooh, this emerald green one is amazing!" She gushed, holding up a slinky silk number that would beautifully complement her olive skin and raven tresses. "What do you think, Tessa?" she called over her shoulder.

Teresa barely glanced over, her azure eyes laser-focused on examining every angle of a slinky black evening gown she held up to her willowy frame. "Sure Tam, if you want to look like a Real Housewife off her meds and on the prowl."

Tamara gasped in mock offense, whirling around with the dress clutched to her chest. "Well it beats dressing like a depressed mortician going to a funeral!"

For a split second, Teresa's eyes flashed with icy menace. But then, just as quickly, the look dissolved into begrudging respect as the corners of her perfectly lined burgundy lips twitched upwards into a smile. "Maybe if you had legs like mine, you could pull off haute couture without it wearing you...you shrimp."

The two dissolved into a fit of giggles, temporarily united as they continued pawing through the racks to keep their escalating fashion debate alive. I shook my head in amusement at their endless ribbing. For all of Teresa's sharpened supermodel talons, Tamara's sugary sweet exterior hid wicked claws of her own that she wasn't afraid to unsheathe when provoked.

While they moved on to scrutinizing handbag options, I lingered by the shoe department, my eyes immediately catching on a pair of violet pointed-toe Louboutins. The low stiletto heels were a reasonable height, promising I could actually walk in them without teetering around like a newborn faun.

"Nice find, Tally," Teresa's nasal voice cut through my reverie. She glided up beside me, eyeing the shoes with fresh disdain. "Those are kinda cute, I guess. But didn't you get the memo in the latest issue of Vogue? Purple is footwear's new leper color this season." She wrinkled her pert nose in distaste.

"Nice find Tally. Those shoes are cute, but didn't you get the memo? Purple is footwear's new leper color per the latest issue of Vogue." Teresa wrinkled her nose in distaste.