FORTY THREE

Elliot

Fear is something I've never felt.

It's always been something I've caused, something I've craved. Invoking fear in others gives me a rush. Have you ever watched the moment someone realizes that their life is coming to an end? Their eyes glaze over and and their bodies give off a particular scent. It has always been my favorite part of the hunt. It gives off a better high then any drug I've taken, it's all consuming.

But, the most dangerous thing about fear is that its contagious. It spreads like wildfire, causes destruction and devastation wherever it goes. It infects the body like a deadly disease, overpowering every cell in your body until you can't think straight. And when it's finished with you, it latches onto it's next victim with ease, ripping through them with little difficulty.

It forces you into fight or flight mode, your brains way of pretending that it has any grasp on it. Deluding you into thinking that you have any control over it. But fear is smart that way, luring you into thinking that you can get away, that just one more step and you'll be safe. Until it's too late and you are in the grasps of the very thing that has caused it in the first place.

It's always in that last moment that I look forward to the most, the knowing of what I'm about to do the whoever is in my sights. But, that's the very thing that has me so fearful now. Lenny delivering the worst news he possibly could and within an instant both Wren and myself were doused in the fucking stuff.

The beating organ in my chest fucking stopped and my lungs constricted so tight that I was fighting for a breath. To know that someone who is just as sick and dangerous as me has my whole fucking world in their grasps, fucking terrifies me. Especially since I know that a nightmare from Annabelle's past now has unlimited access to her.

A man who before I knew what he did to my angel, was insignificant. I knew the type of scumbag Tommy Miller was, the way he used and abused girls who were far too young for him. And while it turned my stomach, I let the fucker get on with his life. He knew to stay in line and out of my way. He kept his nose out of my business and I allowed him to live. But the game changed the minute I found out that he laid his greasy fucking paws on Annabelle. She might not have told me everything about her time with Tommy, but I can take a very good guess and I can't fucking wait to make him suffer.

See the thing with me is, fear hasn't debilitated me, no, far fucking from it. It's made me willing to burn the whole fucking world down so I can get my girl back. I don't care who or what is in my way, but they better be fucking ready for a war because no one touches my angel and lives to tell the fucking tale.

"FUCK!" I roar, upending the table in front of me. The items crashing to the ground, do nothing to calm the rage that is coursing through my veins. The anger is all consuming, I can barely think straight. She was safe, in a house full of fully armed men and yet I still couldn't fucking protect her.

All the promises I made, and the precautions we took and they still fucking got her. Vivid images of all the horrific things they could be doing to her, plague my mind making my body shake. I didn't do enough to keep her safe and if anything happens to her, I will never forgive myself.

"Son-" Harry lays a hand on my shoulder and I snap. Before I know it, my hand is tightly wrapped around my father throat and he's roughly thrown against the wall. I'm vaguely aware of an audience but I couldn't care less. He has hated Annabelle from the get go and I specifically told him to stay clear, he ignored that.