Chapter 10

Her high-heeled shoes clucked with every step on the furnished tiled floor. She inhaled the scent of potpourri, and instantly she calmed.

"Elizabeth! How wonderful to see you!"

"Mary, you always say the nicest things." Both women laughed and embraced while barely touching, and kissed each other appropriately on the cheeks so as not to transfer their lipsticks. Holding each other's hands, they stepped away to admire their outfits. Elizabeth wore cream pants, with a baby-soft off the shoulder yellow sweater.

Mary wore a full long milk-white skirt, and a dark pink short-sleeved blouse. Her olive tinted features were pleasant rather than pretty. Slim and dark, with a long nose and high forehead, she looked very foreign. Her smile revealed small white even teeth.

"It's been forever. You should visit more often."

"It's only been a month Mary. If I'd known you'd miss me so quickly, I would have come sooner."

"Oh, it's been dull without you, mon chéri. Especially the gossip, and you know how I and the other ladies like a good gossip." She laughed loudly, attracting the attention she expected. "Come, let's make your presence known." Mary entwined their arms and escorted Elizabeth down the hall of the hotel, to the Egyptian styled restaurant. They entered the double doors and were greeted by a room teeming with at least fifty women, and soft mystical music playing on a violin.

"Elizabeth!" A choir of six ladies called. The other women in the room glanced at the newcomer, then returned to whispering in earlobes adorned with fine crafted jewellery. All six ladies kissed and embraced their friend, settling into the regular circle for juicy chitchat. Before they could begin, a high-pitched voice interrupted from across the room.

"Elizabeth. My goodness, is it good to see you." Mrs. Wilson beaming happily in a sky orange fitted long sleeve top, and dusky black pants came upon the women, who artificially smiled.

"Angela. How are you?" Elizabeth replied pleasantly, grateful to the waiter who appeared with glasses of champagne.

"I'm wonderful! Thank you for asking. So, I don't mean to pounce on you," She curled her fingers, imitating a cat-like jump. "But I was wondering if you brought it with you."

"What exactly?"

"The cheque."

"What cheque, darling?" Enquired Mary, her interest piqued. Elizabeth scrambled to reply, but Mrs. Wilson answered first.

"Well, Mrs. Charles donated a sum of one hundred thousand pounds to our charity benefit." The women in the circle, and others within earshots all gasped in shock. Those who hadn't heard were soon informed. Similar expressions warmed their faces. Mary, through clenched teeth, whispered to Elizabeth,

"I thought we agreed we weren't going to donate. They have enough money in the bank to feed a nation!" Elizabeth, following her friend's way of speech, responded,

"I know, but this was my stepdaughter's doing, not mine." Smiling tightly, she searched her purse for her cheque book, and reluctantly wrote the many zeros after the number one. Unwillingly, she handed it to the eager Mrs. Wilson.

"Oh, thank you so much. You and your family." Clutching the piece of paper delicately, she disappeared into the crowd to find her purse.

"Your stepdaughter did this?" Dubious, Mary frowned.

""Yes."

"And you did not stop her?" Joyce, a plump tall woman asked. It was obvious she had once been slender, but after two children and an addiction for chocolate, it was no wonder she looked the way she did, especially since exercise was not an option on her agenda.

"I couldn't. I was upstairs when Angela and her husband visited, and when I arrived the damage had already been done." The other women shook their heads in dismay. Trying for nonchalance, Elizabeth switched the subject.

"Well ladies, what's on the menu for brunch today?" Immediately their powdered faces brightened, the past forgotten.

"There's a variety of different meals to choose from. But more importantly, there's wine tasting." Their mouths opened in mock awe, then they giggled like conspirators.

"My, my, my, is it not Betty Louis?" Elizabeth wondered out loud. By the nods of the ladies and the sparks of interest in their eyes, Elizabeth knew they were waiting for her to say something cheeky about the woman. She gave them what they wanted.

"I must say, she looks quite like a petting zoo animal in all that fur." The table erupted with laughter. "I hope she left the fleas at home." The laughter grew until everyone else was staring at them. They tried unsuccessfully to contain themselves.

"And didn't you notice Phyllis Gainsworth? I mean, this is just a small social gathering, why dress in attire and endless jewellery that competes with a Christmas tree?" Mary chided. More laughter. No one bothered to contain the outburst of mad giggles. The menus were received and distributed. It was a wasted gesture since the women ordered caesar salads, and nonfattening foods. The exception, however, was Joyce who gladly ordered lobster, creamy potato salad, and rich golden gravy.

The seven women became quiet. Joyce noticing said,

"Don't you all go judging me What you expect when it's free. I might as well enjoy myself!" The other women chuckled heartily.

"Oh Joyce, you must be more diligent with your health." Said Mary affectionately.

"That's why I always eat full meals. Unlike the rest of you, contented with eating rabbit food." They laughed, and settled down to brunch.