⋆ ★gof ⟿ the yule ball★⋆

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

Harry's P.O.V. 

Well, Harry had done it.

After Elijah left, Y/N came over to Ron, Hermione and Ginny, moreover ignoring Harry almost completely. "What's going on here, then?" Y/N asked, eyebrow raised, giving Ron's trembling state a once-over.

"Oh shut up, you two - Ron's been turned down by the girl he asked to the ball!" said Ginny. 

"Thanks a bunch, Ginny," said Ron sourly. 

"All the good-looking ones taken, Ronald?" said Hermione loftily, nudging Y/N who couldn't withhold a snort of laughter. "Eloise Midgen starting to look quite pretty now, is she? Well, I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere who'll have you."

Harry would have laughed, but he found it rather mean. Hermione was nice, and Ron was pushing it by being an arse. If he just asked her nicely, she'd let him down slowly, like she did to Neville after he asked her.

But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light. 

"Hermione," said Ron, almost nonchalantly. "You know, you're a girl..." 

"Well spotted," Hermione replied sardonically. Y/N giggled.

How could she stand there and look so perfect? It would make Christmas so much harder, because Harry had an amazing present in mind...well, if she said yes to him for the Yule Ball...but he couldn't exactly give it to her, since she was going with Cedric...

"Well - you can come with one of us!" Ron's voice snapped Harry out of his stupor.

"No, I can't," snapped Hermione. 

"Oh come on," Ron said impatiently, even though Harry was widening his eyes at the boy, warning him to just stop. "We need partners-" 

Harry furrowed his brows, almost in alarm. His gaze involuntarily flickered to Y/N.

"Don't drag me into this, mate-"

"- We're going to look really stupid if we haven't got any, everyone else has...especially Harry, he's a champion!"

"What did I just say about dragging me into it-"

 "I can't come with you," said Hermione, now blushing, "because I'm already going with someone." 

"No, you're not!" said Ron loudly. "You just said that to get rid of Neville!" 

"Oh did I?" said Hermione, and her eyes flashed dangerously. "Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"