Chapter Fifteen:Death of the Innocent and a Stupid Mentor

THE ARENA REMINDED quiet for quite some time, both Lamina and Finch enjoying the peace knowing that it wouldn't last long, as if the universe somehow heard them footsteps began to echo across the arena floor, and when Finch looked down and saw who...

THE ARENA REMINDED quiet for quite some time, both Lamina and Finch enjoying the peace knowing that it wouldn't last long, as if the universe somehow heard them footsteps began to echo across the arena floor, and when Finch looked down and saw who it was a smile couldn't help but engulf her face.

It was Teslee and Circ, Teslee having been able to locate her district partner that she had been so desperate to find. Finch was happy for them because she understood how valuable your District partner can be, they are a piece of home that will mostly stay by your side.

Finch watched the pair curiously as they passed Marcus's body and headed straight to the smashed drone, their pair of hands moved carefully over equipment as they seemed to be assessing the damage, Finch guessed the pair from Three would have a lot of experience with tech given they are from the main tech District.

They poked around in compartments that Finch didn't even know the drone would have and Circ pulled out what looked to be a battery, he held it up to Teslee with a thumbs up as the girl fiddled with some wires in the drone and watched as the light flickered on. As they continued to examine the drone, another pair came flying in for them, they quickly gathered their gifts and escaped into the tunnels.

Then Finch noticed a figure hiding in the darkness that likely scared them off.

A FEW MINUTES later the figure emerged from the shadows of the arena.

It was Reaper but it wasn't his emergence that caused Finch's stomach to turn it was the Small frail figure he carried in his arms. Dill had somehow become even smaller and weaker than when the games began. Dill seemed to have shrunk, her body curled up into the fetal position. She stared dully up at the even sun that had risen over the arena.

Reaper stepped around some debris from the bombing until he found a nice sunny spot, it wasn't too far away from Finch and she could truly see how small and weak Dill had become, the sweet young girl beginning to succumb to her illness. He laid Dill down on a charred piece of wood, Finch watched her tiny body shiver despite the heat. Reaper pointed at the sun and said something inaudible to Dill that she didn't react.

Finch watched as Reaper paced restlessly near Dill, it looked like a thousand thoughts were racing through the eighteen-year-olds brain like he was trying to decide whether to stay with Dill or go back on the hunt, he looked down at the small girl and gave her one last pat on the shoulder before descending back into the stands.

Finch watched the girl silently the slow rise and fall of her chest brought Finch little comfort but Dill was still choosing to fight, the buzzing of a drone soon entered the vicinity and Finch saw it was carrying two bottles of water, it stopped next to Dill who didn't react to the drone.

A figure emerged from the tunnels as fast as a cheetah on the hunt, the figure was tall and when Finch got a better look at him she realized it was Treech, the older boy looked up at Finch and then at the sleeping form of Lamina who was laid next to her. He nodded his head over at Lamina and Finch realized he wanted to know if she was okay, she stuck her thumb out to indicate that they were both okay. Treech quickly grabbed Dill's water bottles before giving Finch one last nod and disappeared through a large crack in the wall.

The arena turned silent for a moment before Dill's body convulsed with a last bout of coughing and a gush of blood-soaked her dirty dress, and with that Dill's body finally gave out and the small girl's chest stopped rising and falling.

Innocence was dead.

FINCH HAD ALWAYS been a light sleeper this was in part due to her district being heavily bombed during the Dark Days and was also due to growing up in The Marrow house where survival was based on never letting your guard down even while you slept. So when footsteps echoed across the arena floor Finch was awake quicker than ever.

She held her hunting knife so tightly in her hand that her knuckles began to turn white, she looked around trying to figure out the danger. She looked down at Lmaina who was still sleeping her chest slowly rising and falling bringing some comfort to the girl from Two.

It was then she spotted the owner of the footsteps, the figure was crouched down in front of Marcus's body this sent a flood of rage through her body nobody was allowed to touch Marcus, she descended the beam and stormed straight over to them, once she reached the person she roughly shoved them to the floor and held her hunting knife at them threateningly.

"Get away from him"Finch shouted anger flooding her body.

The figure looked up at her his brown eyes widening in fear, it was then Finch recognized the person in front of her. "Sejanus?"

The body nodded sitting up on his knees in front of Marcus, a small bag of flour was next to him it was then all the pieces finally clicked together in Finch's mind she had been right this whole time Marcus had known Sejanus.

"I was right you did know each other"Finch says quietly as she reaches over and grabs some of the flour from the bag and joins in on sprinkling it on Marcus's body a common tradition back in Two it was done so the deceased would have enough food for their journey to the afterlife. Finch wasn't sure if she truly believed in the afterlife but it seemed Sejanus at least did and he wanted to help his friend get there.

"It's dangerous coming in here to do this yourself, you could have just got Florus to send it to me and I could have done it and then you wouldn't be risking your life,"Finch tells him her voice low and quiet.

Sejanus turned to look at her his eyes were sunken and red from obvious crying Finch was unable to imagine the pain he must have felt when he saw his friend strung up like that, Finch had only known Marcus a week or so and it destroyed her heart, she couldn't imagine the pain Sejanus was in right now.

The two continued to sprinkle the flour silently until another set of footsteps echoed across the arena floor.