Chapter One:The reaping

"You're going to get kicked out if you're not careful"The voice of Cassia Warren enters the vicinity of Finch Blaze

"You're going to get kicked out if you're not careful"The voice of Cassia Warren enters the vicinity of Finch Blaze. The Blaze girl sighed, looking up at her blonde-haired best friend who stood above her.

Finch marks the page in her book and leans her back against the oldest tree in District Two. "You're being kinda dramatic,"Finch tells her friend casually.

Cassia groans in annoyance. "I'm being serious Fin,"Cass tells her friend.

"I just spent two days in the hole and two days on Marrow house lockdown, I've already been punished Cass"Finch tells her best friend confidently.

"The Marrow house will only put up with you for so long"Cassia reminds her best friend.

Finch knew deep down in her gut that Cassia was telling the truth, The Marrow house had a strict set of rules for those who lived in the four walls, but the place was short on second chance and Finch understood that more than most.

Finch pushes herself off the ground and approaches her friend. "Let's worry about the Marrow house after the Reaping, yeah? Let's not deal with too many problems all at once"Finch tells her friend.

Cassia sighs in defeat. "Okay, we need to get going, or we'll be too late,"Cassia tells her.

Finch dusts the dirt off her hand-me-down brown trousers and then walks side by side with her best friend as they begin the short walk to the square.

"Do you think you'll be Reaped?"Cassia asks suddenly breaking the comfortable silence.

Finch shrugs her shoulders casually. "I don't know to be honest with you but the Marrow house has produced the only two District Two victors in the last ten years,"Finch tells her best friend.

The only two known victors of the two are Aris Ashlar and Ajax Bellow and they both came from the Marrow house, they became the stuff of legends inside the Marrow walls. and Finch was no exception, she used to love hearing stories about the two victors.

"The Marrow house does have a good reputation for the games so it could be you or someone else from the house,"Cassia tells her friend with sadness in her voice.

Finch grabs hold of Cassia's hand and squeezes it reassuringly. "Today will be fine, we just gotta get through this"Finch tells her with a small smile on her face.

The two teenagers continue their walk to the square hand and hand with no way, not knowing how bad things would be.

The main square of two was busy and full of other people getting into their age rows. After the two were registered the two girls walked to their row hand in hand. The two stand in the middle part of the row.

The loud chatter of children around her caused Finch to pull Cassia closer to her.

"Do you think Mayor Landry will be drunk again?"Cassia asks her friend casually.

Finch sighs. "His daughter did die in the games three years ago Cass, I might hate his rich, snobby ass but I do feel somewhat sorry for him"Finch tells her.

It was common for the people of Two to be separated by their wealth, the wealthier people of Two had more money and the people over there liked to show it off. The people in the lower part of the district like Finch in the Marrow house had less but were much kinder. Cassia was an exception to rule with her being from the richer part of Two and having the kindest heart Finch had ever known.

Embarrassment flashes across Cassia face and she looks at her friend with a sad smile. "I'm sorry I wasn't thinking,"Cassia tells her best friend.

As if he had been summoned, Mayor Landry stepped out on the stage in front of the justice building. He looked well put together but the pain behind his eyes was noticeable "Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to the 10th Hunger Games Reaping "Mayor Landry announces his voice quivers as he speaks.

A few children around her begin to snicker and when Finch looks she sees its children that she recognized from school.

"Let's start with the ladies"The Mayor announces and makes a slow walk over to the bowl full of girl's names and digs deep inside.

"Finch Blaze"The Mayor announces, the children around her turn to look at her with sympathy.

Finch takes a deep breath and then begins to walk to the stage, her old boots crunching against the gravel ground, her heartbeat pounding in her ears. The hot mid-day sun pounded down onto Finch causing sweat to drip down the back of her neck.

As Finch approaches the steps she spots the Capitol cameras filming her, she puts on a confident smile as she ascends the steps not wanting the Capitol to see her scared. When she reaches the top of the stage she stands on the right side, hands stuffed in her pocket trying to act as casual as possible.

"Now for the boys"Mayor Landry's voice calls out, he walks over to the other side of the stage and to the boy's bowl and reaches inside.

"Marcus Bedford"The Mayor calls out.

Finch studies the boy as he approaches the stage, Marcus looks a lot older than Finch. He has dark skin and eyes, Finch didn't know Marcus very well as he wasn't from the Marrow house and seemingly older than her.

Marcus slowly walks up to the stage he is quiet and stoic and gives no reaction to the Capitol cameras, he climbs the stage and stands on the left-hand side of the stage.

"Tributes, shake hands please"The Mayor requested.

Finch and Marcus slowly approached each other, Marcus being the first to extend his hand with Finch following after. Marcus's grip was strong but not enough to hurt her.

"Your Tributes for the 10th Hunger Games"Mayor Landry announced.

The two tributes were soon escorted into the Justice building, both Tributes going easily neither wanting to cause a fuss.

District 2 could have another victor but at what cost?.