chapter 1, part 2

Kasey and Olivia stumbled into the small, shared bathroom.

Cramped, and it smelt like the cheap and crappy rose perfume Olivia had suffocated it with. The smell was heavy. And it was the one Kasey couldn't stand. She always sprayed it when he wasn't around. He usually wasn't around.

"God. How much did you–" He hiccuped out, then stopped talking. Kasey moved toward the sink and leaned onto it. Olivia rolled her shoulders when he got off her—he was heavy.

"How are you feeling..? Oh, how many drinks did you have?" She said while rubbing her left shoulder. Still sore.

"Mm.." He huffed out, his hand going to turn on the sink. "3."

Olivia sighed, taking that in. This guy–

Great. Just great.

She watched him turn on the sink and immediately went to turn it off. Kasey lazily looked down at her. Olivia noticed the slight redness in his brown skin. He saw how nice her eyes looked in the dim room.

"Sit on the tub, okay? I'll get you some water." She sighed, avoiding his tired eyes that seemed to be examining hers.

Why's he looking at me like that?

"Mm.." He stumbled over to the tub and sat down after a few silent seconds. Kasey's head leaned against the wall. Olivia watched him for a few moments—to make sure he was okay, of course—before backing up into the hallway.

"I'll be right back. Don't move."

—————————————————————————————————

"Hey, I'm back," Olivia said with two cold, dripping water bottles in her hands. She'd gone to grab them out of the mini-fridge. "Here."

Kasey looked at the water bottle for a few minutes before reaching for it. He stopped short-handed and said, "Could you—hiccup—open it for me?"

She looked at him like he was crazy, then remembered he was drunk. With that in mind, she took the water bottle and twisted it open. "Fine. This is only because I don't want you to spill it."

Kasey took the water back with his shaky hands and downed it. Olivia watched—mostly to make sure he wasn't choking.

"Drink it slowly," she'd say, in case he tried to drink too much at once. And she'd grab the bottle from his hands when it started to drip down his chin.

—————————————————————————————————

"How are you feeling now?" Olivia asked, her head tilted to match his when he leaned against the wall again.

No response. His eyes were shut, his breathing was slow. She sat there on the toilet lid, just watching him.

"Kasey?"

"Mm.." Kasey mumbled. His hand moved to his forehead and underneath his dreadlocks. "My head hurts."

Olivia nodded. "Ice Pack?"

There was no response, but he shifted his weight and opened his eyes. Olivia got up.

—————————————————————————————————

A small sigh finally broke the long silence. Kasey lazily tossed the ice pack into the sink. Olivia rubbed her eyes.

Tire had washed over her as time passed as they sat in that bathroom. The smell of perfume luckily faded away, though.

"How are you feeling?" Kasey rested his elbows on his knees and thought. Or at least Olivia thought he was thinking. She didn't know what was going on in his head. He didn't tell her, anyway.

"Like I need to throw up."

That was something Olivia didn't want to hear. She hadn't planned for that.

She quickly got up and opened the toilet lid. Then she grabbed Kasey by the arm and sat him beside it on the floor.

"Do you want more water?" He shrugged.

She folded her arms as she stood over him. And with a small huff, she sat beside him, taking his hand in hers.

"I'm here," she said, "if you need anything."

He just looked at her with that same blank expression. Olivia sighed and let go of his hand.

"Are you hungry or anything?"

He shrugged again. 

Olivia sighed again. 

Was it always this complicated? When sober, he always ensured she knew what he wanted.

"Do we have strawberries?" He asked, his head tilting like hers.