Chapter 7: Survival

It's morning. Elizabeth wakes up.

"How much longer?" Alex asks.

"Half an hour," I say.

"We're that close? Good," Elizabeth says. "Hey, what's your grandparents address?"

"Twenty-five-thirty three," Jake says.

"That's about six or seven houses away from my parents. I never knew we were that close," Elizabeth says.

"I'm hungry," Alex says.

"We are almost there. We'll eat at my parents' house," Elizabeth says.

After a while of driving, we get to Emerald street.

"That's my parents' house!" Elizabeth says pointing at a light blue house. I stop. She gets out.

"Take them to their grandparents' house, then come back here," Elizabeth says.

She goes up to the door. I drive down the street.

"There!" Alex says pointing at a light yellow house.

I pull into the driveway. We get out. I go up to the door. I knock. No answer. I try opening the door and it's locked.

"There's a back door, maybe we could try that," Alex says. We walk around to the back. I knock on the back door. No answer again. I kick the door open. Alex steps inside.

"Stay back. We don't know who's here," I say. I walk through the kitchen. I hear a crunch under my foot. I look down to see a bloody bone. I then hear a scream and a growl.

"Get to the car," I say.

Suddenly the door in front of me swings open. A woman with blood all over her face growls and lunges towards me. I back away. It's a zombie with red eyes.

"Get outside!" I yell.

I pull my gun out and run outside. The zombie follows us. Alex trips over a rock. The zombie grabs her arm as she's getting up. Jake throws a rock at the zombie causing the zombie to run at him. I shoot the zombie in the arm. The zombie falls over. I run over and shoot the zombie in the head. Alex walks over.

"You're not bit, right?" I ask.

"I'm fine...we have to find our grandparents," Alex says.

"Fine, but I go in first, and you two stay back," I say.

We walk into the house once again. There is a blood trail leading up the stairs. We slowly ascend the stairs.

"Help me!" a woman screams.

"Stay down here," I say to Alex and Jake.

I reach the second floor. There's a woman sitting up against the wall. She's bleeding. She's too young to be their grandmother.

"Help...me. There's another...one of those things. In that room," the woman says pointing to a bedroom.

I walk over to the room. Alex is behind me. Jake is waiting by the top of the stairs. I go to the door. I kick it open.

Someone is sitting on the bed. The person turns around. There's blood all over the person. I look at their eyes. It's a zombie. The zombie leaps from the bed and lunges towards me. I quickly slam the door shut. The zombie bangs on the door.

"Run!" I yell to Jake and Alex.

They run downstairs. I hold the door closed. What do I do? The zombie pulls on the door almost opening it. This one is strong!

The woman who was sitting against the wall gets up. She growls and charges towards me. She turned already? There's a door to the left of me. I open the door and slam it shut. Both zombies bang on the door violently. What do I do here? There has to be another way out!

I'm in a small bathroom. I lock the door. There's a window in here. I see Alex and Jake running from three people who I'm guessing are zombies. I open the window. I climb out and stand on the porch roof. I walk towards the edge of the roof. I jump down onto the ground. I run towards the zombies.

"Alex! Jake! Get to the car!" I yell. They run to the car. I pull out my gun and shoot the zombies. I run to the car and get in.

"You guys okay?" I ask.

"Yeah," Alex says.

"Jake, you alright?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he says.