Chapter 2

Rebecca's POV

I'm very shy, it's difficult for me to be more open when it comes to talking to people and I'm also shy with my parents. But when I met Lola... it was something else and something weird. I don't know why I opened up more with her if she's not someone close to me, I'm a stranger to her. I liked how she talked to me ; pleasant, kind and calm. She looks prettier in real life than in the photos. So beautiful.

I've never liked men, I'm a lesbian. Until I was 16, I refused that I liked girls by forcing myself to like boys. My family doesn't know I'm a lesbian, I've never wanted to tell them for fear that they would stop loving me. My parents are conservative... so I don't think they would like to have a lesbian daughter. I hate to pretend with something that I don't like but, at the same time, I think it's best to hide it when you have a religious and conservative family.

My dad's birthday is in one month and obviously he's going to celebrate it with a party with family and friends. And I just found out that he hired Lola to sing on his birthday and she's not only going to sing, she's also going to be another guest with the band she has for her concerts. I don't know at which moment my dad became a fan of Lola but at least I'm going to see my favorite singer again.

I'm a jewelry design student and just transitioned to my senior year of college. Not only do I study, I also work in a jewelry store. Although I'm close to finish my major, they hired me anyway because they believe that I have the knowledge of the jewelry area.

I have two younger siblings, Kyle and Daphne. They get a little unbearable when I get the nanny role as a big sister to take care of them when mom and dad have their friend's birthdays or when they want to be alone at a romantic dinner at an expensive restaurant.

Lola followed me back on Photogram and when I saw the notification I exploded with joy. I've never been so happy when I met her and one day later she followed me on social media.

I'm now on summer vacation with my parents in my hometown, Houston. We moved to an area near the forest and a steam away from the urban area two years ago. I like living there but when I finish college I wanna move to an apartment so I can be close to my workplace.

It's Friday at 6pm I just had a shower and I'm helping my mom prepare dinner. While she prepares the salad and I cook the meat, she asks me how the week at work was. I replied to her that it went well. Suddenly she asks me if I liked any guy from college and I sigh angrily... I hate it when she asks me that, she's the same like all her friends asking me if I got a boyfriend. It makes me wanna to yell at my mom that I don't like guys, but I don't have the courage to do it at the same time. "I don't like any guy from university mom. The boys there seem ugly to me. Can you stop asking me that every year?" "Okay sweetie *lets out a giggle* I won't do it anymore, I'm sorry" "I hope it's the last time you bother me with that question"

My mom puts the last thing that was missing on the table and I call my siblings to come to have dinner. My dad arrives from work and is the first person to sit at the table. Kyle and Daphne greet him first with a hug, then my mom with a kiss and finally me ; with a cold hug and I quickly go to sit between my mother and Daphne. My father looks at me weirdly when I give him that weak hug. I'm not one to express myself affectionately to people, I never do it because I'm not very open to having that kind of affect. But lately I'm trying to encourage myself to hug people starting with those closest to me like my parents. I want to open up a little bit more. I'm not saying about being so extroverted but having a balance between extrovert and introvert. I wanna start having more confidence. It can't be that I don't have it with my loved ones like my family. I can't be so weird and stupid at 22 years old and I have to change that.

That's why I gave my dad that cold and weak hug. When he looked at me strangely I thought "Oh my god, I think I shouldn't have done it". After the hug and that strange look, he tells me surprised "You haven't given me a hug for years, Rebecca. What made you think about hugging me?" and when I want to respond to him, I start to stutter "Uh-uhm, I wanna... stop being so shy" "It's alright". And everyone starts eating after that mini conversation.