18. Galas and Rich People Things

Start from the beginning

"You're so mean to him Marty," Samirah laughs.

I shrug. "I say your names like fifty times a day, if he didn't know them at this point it'd be more impressive."

We all hug and say tearful goodbyes for a while longer, and I want to walk them down the driveway but they forbid it since it's pouring rain, which perfectly matches my mood.

I'm standing at the door, giving everyone last minute hugs when I notice Ice walk downstairs in my peripheral vision. I turn to look at him while I'm hugging Samirah, and I can tell the exact moment he sees her.

He stumbles, actually stumbles as he's walking down the stairs and his face looks like a man who just saw the sunrise after spending his whole life in the dark.

I turn back to my friends, ignoring the clattering sound behind me, waving and screaming "bye" as they drive down my driveway. When they're past the gates, I shut the door, and lean against it before I notice Ice on the ground.

"What happened to you?" I say, making my way over to where he's laying on the ground. I poke him with my slippered foot

"Nothing, I just fell," he has a lovestruck look on his face and I internally groan. He forces himself to get up trying to look casual. "So, who was the girl you were just hugging?"

"Why?" I ask in amusement, knowing he is already smitten despite seeing her once for like five seconds.

"No reason," he tries to lean on the banister, but misses, almost falling again. This time, he catches his balance before he eats it again.

I roll my eyes. Someone clearly fell in love. I chuckle at my own joke, before answering his question. "That's my friend Samirah."

"Samirah," he whispers, staring at the door as if he can still see her there.

"You're interested in her?" I say, it's not really a question, more of a factual statement.

"What," he shakes his head, finally snapping out of his daydream. "No, I just think she's cute."

Even he doesn't seem like he believes that excuse, and I laugh.

"Good luck trying to get her," I walk past him to the kitchen.

He hurries after me, "Why? Does she have a boyfriend?"

"No," I admit. "It's 'cause she deserves the best in the world, and while you're my friend too, I know for a fact you're not the best."

He pouts. "I'm not trying to date her or anything, I just said she's cute."

"Cute is an understatement buddy," I say. He looks like he agrees.

I grab a grape popsicle from the fridge wordlessly handing him the orange one. "I bet you're wishing you actually hung around my friends more aren't you?"

"No," he vehemently shakes his head, but I see the regret in his eyes. "You'll probably have them over again sometime this week."

It's my turn to shake my head. "Actually, school starts next week so they'll all be busy with all that stuff, they probably won't be able to come over again for a while."

His heart looks like it's breaking, and I sympathetically pat his arm. "I know man, I feel the same way."

Ana walks in at that very moment, staring disapprovingly at our popsicles. "You kids are always eating junk food."

"We deserve a pass today Ana, we're heartbroken." I say.

"Oh," she raises an eyebrow, urging us to elaborate.