5. The Wedding

My wedding is taking place at a hotel Nonno owns, so that's where we get ready. From what I understand, the ceremony is happening in the banquet room and the reception is in the grand ballroom.

We ran late because I sorta slept in, and then when we got to the hotel I realized I forgot my shoes and the rings so someone had to go back to get them.

Aunt Lisa does my hair and makeup, and chatters about all her salon gossip. Isabella takes like a million pictures while my friends and Anna-Sophia attempt to console my mom.

"I wish Ma came," Mom says, finally not crying.

"Why isn't Ma coming?" Aunt Lisa turns to her.

Mom rolls her eyes, "She said she just flew here for Marty's graduation, and doesn't wanna fly back up."

"She does realize that it's her granddaughter's wedding right?" she asks as she blends my eyeshadow.

Mom sighs. "I know, and my father-in-law even offered to pay for her flight, but she still said no. Apparently the city weather makes her head hurt."

Aunt Lisa shakes her head. "That's just Ma I guess." She then turns to me. "Marty, I'm tellin' ya hon if this Dante kid tries anything, my friend Dominique just got outta prison, so he does anything to hurt you, just let me know."

I kinda want to tell Aunt Lisa that my Nonno is literally a mafia leader, but don't. Instead I say, "Is she the one who went to prison for tax evasion?"

"No hon that was Mary," I feel the feather light touch of the makeup brush on my eye. "Dominique went to prison for smashing the windows of her ex husband's house and she told me she doesn't care if she goes back."

"Oh," I say. I hear Mom sniffling in the background but can't see her since my eyes are shut. "Mom, are you still crying?"

"No," she sniffles.

"Daniella, please get yourself together," Aunt Lisa says. "You're going to be all red for the pictures and no amount of concealer will fix it."

She does the last finishing touches to my makeup and sprays me with a good dose of setting spray. I accidentally open my mouth leading to setting spray filling my mouth. After I cough like crazy, she instructs me to open my eyes before spinning me to face the mirror.

I gasp. "Oh my gosh Aunt Lisa I look amazing," I grab her in a hug. "You made me look so hot."

She waves me off. "Babe that's all you, all I did was accentuate what you've already been given."

I examine my soft glam makeup look, "You even made my lips look fuller, like I don't even think I want fillers anymore."

She spins me around to face her and gives me a grave look. "My darling, do not get filler. My friend Rhonda got it and they migrated, making her face look botched."

"Yeah," Anna Sophia pipes up. "Rhonda's lips looked so good but now they're all wonky. I think it's 'cause her surgeon was sketchy."

Aunt Lisa then does my friends' makeups, Aunt Elena's, and Moms before Mom zips me into my dress.

I actually love my wedding dress and I feel like a million bucks. I think this is the hottest I've ever looked in my eighteen years alive.

It's off the shoulder with a corset top which goes into a full skirt. The top is slightly scandalous since it's somewhat sheer with embroidered flowers covering all the important bits. My waist looks snatched and I twirl around feeling like a princess.

My veil is pinned into place and I'm handed my bouquet of orchids. Too soon, we're walking towards the ceremony hall and that's when the panic starts to hit. What am I doing? Am I seriously about to marry a guy I've never met??