11. Off To The Races

The general consensus for horse race outfits is it depends on the specific race happening. Since this race isn't a huge deal, it means that you should dress nicely but you don't gotta go all out and wear one of those little hat things.

My friends and I decided on a cute white and blue floral midi dress. It's got one of those little milkmaid tops with a little bow thing. Lowkey I'm worried it might be too informal so I'll wear heels to dress it up, I also have these little lace gloves which are cute and seem like something the rich peeps would wear. I'll also take a hat just in case the other people are wearing them.

I'm finishing off my makeup when a voice echoes through the intercom thingy.

Dante sounds impatient. "Martina, hurry up."

I roll my eyes before checking the time. It's literally 8 AM, but whatever. I grab my purse and hat before sending a picture to my friends and mom and bound downstairs, in a great mood for some reason. I think it's because I'm leaving the house. Dante paces at the foot of the stairs, his eyes snapping up when he hears me coming down the stairs.

"Finally," he huffs. "You take too long."

"Getting cute takes time," I say. Ana hands me a bagel when I'm at the base of the stairs. "Also, you never told me what people wear to these things so obviously it was gonna take me a long time to get ready."

I examine his outfit. He is, as usual, in a suit, but this one is not black, instead it's dark gray.

"Breaking out the summer colors I see?" I joke. Ana snorts but she covers it up with a cough.

Dante glares at me "Lets go," he says gruffly, heading out the door.

"Bye Ana," I say, side hugging her. "Don't miss me too much."

"Have fun amor," she quickly hugs me back. "Also, don't get jam on your dress," She stuffs a handful of napkins in my hand and all but shoves me out the door. "Now go before Dante gets pissy."

I step onto the driveway and am hit with a wave of heat. I can already tell it's going to be one of those grossly hot days. I shield my eyes from the sun since my sunglasses are in my purse and make my way over to the car. Dante has like six cars (which is mad wasteful if you ask me), today he's in a shiny black Porsche.

He's already in the car and when I slide into my seat, the car is mercifully cool. My seatbelt is barely on before he's off.

The car is silent, the only sound being me eating my bagel. When I'm done, I turn to Dante. He has a really nice side profile if I'm being honest. Too bad the hotness is wasted on him.

"Can I have aux?"

"What?" he doesn't look at me, focusing intently on the road ahead.

"Like aux, so I can play music?" I don't wait for his response, instead looking for the cord. Of course, I can't find one. "Do you not have an aux cord?"

"No," he says shortly. "Why would I need one?"

"So you don't listen to music in the car?" I shake my head. "Weird."

I rummage through my purse hoping to find some headphones or my airpods, but of course, no luck. With a dejected sigh, I turn to the window and watch the houses pass by. I keep sighing, louder and more annoyingly until Dante frustratedly slams his hand on the steering wheel.

"Here," a phone is unceremoniously tossed into my lap. "You can play your music from my phone if it's that important to you."

I pick up his phone warily. "You're letting me use your phone? I didn't think this could happen since you're so mysterious and secretiv-"