013. some handholding

ODETTE | MOETTI

                                ODETTE | MOETTI

EVERYONE WENT SILENT.

We all shared a look with each other.

Neo reacted first, pointing in the direction opposite to the door. "There's another exit that way."

We didn't stay long enough to know if his words were too loud because we dashed after him, past all the stainless steel and cupboards, past the numerous freezers and storage spaces. I somehow ended up behind Lesedi but in front of Kaede and I'd have to be deaf to miss his grumbles.

"Neo I told you we'd be discovered if we didn't hurry up and get out."

The thought of my parents finding out made my fluttering heart sink to my stomach. I couldn't let it happen.

Lesedi grabbed my hand and Neo's with her other so a chain formed. I felt no other choice but to offer my free one to Kaede's. I couldn't see his face, didn't know if he'd even seen my hand in the dark, didn't know if my palm would be sweaty, didn't know if he'd think it was weird— but it gave me something to worry about that wasn't my parents.

I nearly stumbled when he took it. His hand was larger than mine, slightly callused, but warm. It made the chill of his rings against my skin stick out more and I couldn't tell if that or the low temperature in the kitchens that made me shiver.

I hadn't been expecting this outcome from Lesedi's late night rendezvous. I felt an insane urge to laugh as Neo led us single file through various twists and turns.

I doubted the Head Chef even knew them.

There was no advancing footfall behind us and I noticed how our surroundings seemed to get even darker. Maybe to preserve the electrical usage or because of a manual lighting system but the overhead lights weren't switching on. I remembered Jae saying something about the kitchens undergoing renovations and realised that this was probably the result of it.

Neo slowed the pace of the chain from a jog to a walk.  "Let's slow down, there's less light at this end."

He pulled out his phone and switched on the flash, letting it guide the way. "Everyone be careful, watch your footing."

Lesedi only gave him five seconds before questioning his sense of direction. "What exit are you even leading us too?"

Neither of them sounded out of breath and I was glad we all had the stamina to handle the dash. "Y'know how the old dance studio was renovated to extend the kitchen? There's now another exit on that end, we're nearly there."

"How d'you even know that?"

Kaede's raspy voice grazed my ear and I nearly jumped. He was stood much closer to me than I'd thought.