➤ chapter 31 : deserted

Start from the beginning

"i got no praise! i had to hide my waterbending from the fire nation because they were going to kill me just like they did to all the other waterbenders in my tribe." katara explains.

"look, it's not my fault that happened. i was the same age you were when they first attacked your tribe. i thought the fire nation was doing something good for the rest of the world." miizumi sighs in hopes that katara can drop the situation.

"you thought wrong and someone should've told you." katara folds her arms across her chest.

"i can't control how i was raised. as much as i wish i could've controlled if i turned out differently, that's just not possible. and i really wish things could've turned out that way." the girl responds.

"let's just walk." katara mutters, turning away from the girl. "we're the only people who know about the solar eclipse. we have to get that information to ba sing se."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

miizumi's cheeks grow flushed over time as the raging sun grows brighter as the time passes. she moves her bangs that stick to her forehead out of her face.

she tries to untie the ribbon around her water-tribe dress to give her body more freedom but her attempt is unsuccessful.

she stops walking next to toph and starts yanking at the ribbon tied around her waist, the heat causing her to grow even more irritated than before.

"stupid water tribe dress. stupid desert." miizumi mutters from looking to the sky, squinting due to the light in her eyes. "stupid hot sun. why is it so hot anyways? it's never hot anywhere else."

"the ribbon is a part of the dress. it's built into it." katara sighs after having to listen to miizumi struggle behind her for a few minutes.

sokka grabs momo's leg and places him on top of his head in an attempt to shield himself from the sun. toph bumps into his back and miizumi grabs the girl's arm before she can hit the ground.

"can't you watch where you're..." sokka begins and miizumi glares at him.

"no." toph says.

"right. sorry." sokka replies.

"come on guys. we've gotta stick together." katara sighs.

"if i sweat anymore, i don't think sticking together will be a problem." sokka groans and toph pushes him to the ground.

"katara, can i have some water?" toph asks.

"okay, but we've gotta try to conserve it." katara responds, taking a few droplets of water from a small bag. she then bends the water into the other's mouths.

"we're drinking your bending water?" sokka asks in disgust. "you used this on the swamp guy!" he exclaims.

"ew." miizumi simply sighs, too tired to throw a fit about the water.

"it does taste swampy." toph says.

"i'm sorry, it's all we have." katara responds.

"we should try to find more." miizumi says.

"i found some." sokka grabs her shoulder and turns her in the direction that he's pointing towards. the two look at a cactus a few steps away from them.

"that's a random spot to put a cactus." miizumi says unsurely yet still follows behind sokka as he rushes over to the cactus. he slices open a piece with his machete and drinks from the plant.

"wait, you guys shouldn't be eating strange plants." katara warns.

"she's right. my uncle consumed a lot of unknown plants when i was growing up and they did a number on him." the fire nation girl adds.