➤ chapter 2 : promises

SIX YEARS LATER

SIX YEARS LATER

MIIZUMI CAN HEAR azula and ozai training as she walks past the door to the training room. sometimes she hates having to be kept from doing the one thing that her nation was practically built upon. it was something that kept her people united, and for some reason, she was forbidden.

she walks outside and enters the garden where she sees ty lee and mai sitting by the water fountain. a smile appears on her face as she approaches her two friends.

"hi, guys." miizumi smiles.

"mii, where have you been?" ty lee asks, pulling the girl in for a hug.

"um, here i guess." miizumi replies.

"can we do something? im bored." mai asks.

"what were you guys doing before i got here?" miizumi sits down next to mai and ty lee sits across from the girls.

"ty lee keeps showing me her acrobatic tricks and they're all the same." mai explains.

"what? at least they're good!" ty lee exclaims.

"show me your tricks next time you learn some more. i almost fell asleep." mai fake yawns and miizumi laughs.

"yeah, im pretty sure there's a lot more for you to learn. so maybe you can do a whole performance for us." miizumi says.

"okay! when i learn more!" ty lee says optimistically.

"if you learn more." mai comments and miizumi hits the girl to hide her laughter.

ty lee still continues to flip throughout the garden until miizumi sees zuko and ursa walking together. she runs towards the two before they leave.

"hi, mom. hi, zuzu." miizumi says.

"i told you not to call me that." zuko replies.

"what is it?" ursa asks.

"we need zuko to come play with us. he has good ideas and we don't know what to play!" miizumi exclaims, grabbing zuko's hand.

ursa hates how much she sees her reflection in miizumi's eyes. sometimes she can't even look at the girl and she feels guilty for thinking she may appear as a bad mother.

"mom, i dont wanna go! girls are crazy!" zuko whines, planting his feet in the ground.

"zuko, you need to spend time with your sister." ursa says as she watches her children fight.

"come on, zuko. listen to mom!" miizumi whines. her grip unintentionally tightens on zuko's wrist and a faint sizzling sound can be heard.

"ah!" zuko screams. he immediately pulls his hand away from his sister. "what did you do to me?" he asks. miizumi looks at his wrist and sees it to be red and slightly swollen.

"i don't know!" miizumi exclaims.

"what did you do?" ursa asks.

"i didn't mean to, i swear!" miizumi says and she turns to zuko. "i'm sorry, zuko."

"come on, zuko." ursa grabs her son's shoulder. "you owe him an apology when he comes back, young lady." ursa tells miizumi. she folds her arms over her chest as she watches ursa coddle zuko like a baby.

"what happened?" ty lee asks as she leaps over the fence and lands in front of miizumi.

"was that really necessary?" mai sighs.

"it's always necessary!" ty lee smiles.

"i think i burned zuko." miizumi sighs.

"you burned zuko?" mai asks.

"on his wrist. but i don't even know how i did it." miizumi says and ty lee puts a hand on her shoulder.

"it's okay! maybe you're just really strong." ty lee replies.

"so strong i can burn somebody? thanks ty lee, but i don't think that's possible without firebending. and im not even allowed to do that." miizumi explains.

"oh right, because you're engaged to kaizo." mai nods as she remembers that small piece of information.

"it's not fair. why couldn't azula get married to him or some other girl?" miizumi exclaims. "ty lee would happily make herself a wife!"

"it's true, i would!" ty lee smiles.

"now i can't even do the one thing i wanna do the most." miizumi says.

"it's not like you can't fight if you're not a firebender. you can fight with a bow and arrow, a sword, lots of other things too." mai says as she lists the different kind of weapons.

"it's nothing like fire." miizumi sighs.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

miizumi hears three knocks at her door and she looks up from the journal uncle iroh gave her. she was writing about how angry she was that she was forbidden to firebend and how angry she was at ursa for getting mad at her. she immediately closes the book.

"come in." miizumi says. she sees zuko peek through the crack of the door. "zuko."

"it's okay. i forgive you." zuko mutters. "and you didn't hurt me that bad." he shows her his wrist that has only ointment on it.

"i don't even know how i did it in the first place." she sighs and he sits on her bed next to her.

"what were you doing?" he asks.

"nothing." she pulls her knees to her chest.

"wishing you could firebend?" he asks again.

"maybe. why?" she replies in a curious tone.

"i heard you talking to mai and ty lee. if it makes you feel any better, i don't like kaizo. he always knocks me over when we're playing tag." he explains.

"thanks. that kinda cheered me up." she weakly smiles.

"i can teach you some firebending techniques but you can't let anyone know. not mai, not ty lee, not azula, not mom, and especially not father." zuko says.

"you'd really teach me?" miizumi exclaims.

"yes, but you have to be quiet." he whispers.

"i'll be quiet, master zuko!" she replies and he can't help but laugh. for the last six years, prince zuko has been secretly teaching his little sister firebending.

END.