➤ chapter 15 : swamped in

MIIZUMI LOOKS UP from filing her nails to aang

MIIZUMI LOOKS UP from filing her nails to aang. she looks over appa's saddle to see that they are flying closer to the ground. she doesn't know if the boy has realized he's begun to fly appa downwards.

"aang?" miizumi calls. the boy doesn't answer but sokka does. he grows uneasy for the same reason miizumi does and immediately starts to back her up.

"hey, you taking us down for a reason?" sokka asks. "aang, why are we going down?" the airbender snaps out of his trance.

"what? i didn't even notice." aang replies.

"well, are you noticing now?" miizumi asks.

"is something wrong?" katara asks, walking over to miizumi and sokka.

"i know this is gonna sound weird, but i think the swamp is calling to me." aang says.

"is it telling you where we can get something to eat?" sokka groans.

"no. i-i think it wants us to land there." aang stammers.

"no offense to the swamp, but i don't see any land there to land on." the water tribe boy responds. katara and miizumi look towards the ground and then to each other.

"i don't know. bumi said to learn earthbending, i have to wait and listen. and now i'm actually hearing the earth. do you want me to ignore it?" aang explains.

"yes." sokka answers.

"honestly, aang, i think you should land." miizumi says.

"what? no. there's something ominous about that place." katara replies.

"we're not completely defenseless. you're a waterbender, i'm a firebender and aang's the freaking avatar." miizumi explains.

"hey, what about me?" she looks to sokka who folds his arms over his chest.

"i would call you a warrior, but warriors don't throw tantrums." the girl sighs. appa suddenly roars and momo grabs onto miizumi's ankle.

"even appa and momo don't like it here." sokka tells aang. "this is just a disaster waiting to happen." he glares at miizumi and she stares at him unamused. she pushes him out of her face as she turns back to aang.

"this might end up being a missed opportunity, aang." miizumi says.

"no, we're not going." sokka replies.

"who's to say we aren't?" miizumi asks.

"guys, just stop fighting for one second. aang, you make the decision. you're the one flying appa." katara puts a hand between sokka and miizumi.

"okay, since most of us feel so strongly about this, bye swamp." aang sighs as he flies back up. "yip, yip!"

appa begins to soar across the sky and sokka hears rumbling in the back of his mind. he turns around and sees a narrow tornado making its way towards them.