6| Beginning of Destruction

To my Scrollstack readers, the next chapters are updated. Don't forget to check the blurb. <3

KASHI'S POV

KASHI'S POV

Life can be unpredictable. There was a moment when I was skeptical about this marriage, and now I am getting dressed up for it. My gaze drifted to my hands adorned with henna, the alluring scent filling my nostrils alongside the weight of the gold diamond jewelry.

Inhaling deeply, I sighed.

"Ma'am, could you please look up?" the makeup artist asked politely.

I nodded, gazing at my reflection in the mirror. The makeup enhanced my skin, and the red lipstick added a vibrant touch.

But this isn't me.

Frustration washed over me as I closed my eyes, allowing the makeup artist to apply some eye shadow.

Adhikrit Agnihotri had messed up my brain.

After that day, he never returned. I wasn't waiting for him, but I found myself unable to sleep. Perhaps I had grown accustomed to sleeping under someone's gaze?

Nights became sleepless, and days felt exhausting. All because of him!

Mom and Dad thought the wedding was the reason for my uneasiness. I echoed the same sentiment in my brain, not wanting them to know the unwanted mental turmoil I was enduring.

The night he visited my room wasn't our last encounter. I swallowed hard as the soft brush touched my eyelids.

Flashbacks of the past fifteen days replayed in my mind, sinking my heart deeper.

It was the Ganesha Pooja, held in our lawn. Dad and Uncle decided to host the functions at home. With the short notice, only a few relatives could attend on time.

Nandini wasn't speaking to me, indirectly making hurtful comments. Her silence, as my sister, pained me deeply. No matter how much I tried to let it in but still it was piercing my heart.

The Agnihotris exude lavish richness. Mrs. Agnihotri was kind, and soon we were directed to our places for the Pooja.

My gaze often wandered to him; his expression was stoic, his features chiselled. Unintentionally, my eyes sought him out, yet I never caught him looking at me.

Did I want his attention? No, but it seemed cruel for someone who had cried for me just the other night to act like I didn't exist.

Nandini attempted to engage him in conversation, but he responded with brief nods or monosyllabic answers.

Meanwhile, Dhir was lively, initiating conversations with everyone. His black eyes would meet mine, evoking discomfort. His touches on my back or arm filled me with nothing but disgust.

Perhaps that was the first time we were together, and I felt that way.

After the Ganesha Pooja, we had some shopping to do for the wedding. The next ten days passed by in a blur. Mrs. Agnihotri would accompany us to the mall, spending too much money on us. I found it hard to accept, but I did so with a heavy heart. All the other women were accompanied by their husbands Mom, Aunt, Mrs. Agnihotri, and Nandini but I was alone.