1. Peace with immortality

Cale was on his deathbed. After living for hundreds of years he was no longer afraid of death. His Plate was sturdy and aging was slow due to the effects of World Tree's dagger fused with Vitality of Heart. He lived his last days with the last Dragon Lord 'Raon' and his knight 'Choi Han'. After their death, he was waiting for his time to end just so he could finally rest. One afternoon as he was napping in the Super Rock villa, a sudden cold sensation enveloped his entire being. He opened his eyes in a familiar office.

"God of Death." He spoke calmly.

"Hello, my child." God of Death replied amused when Cale did not argue. He remembered Cale being angry every time he was referred to as "Death's child". 'But he is old now. So much more calmer and wiser.' God of Death continued as he saw Cale sitting there just listening.

"As you know World tree is an existence that has died and been born again many times. Because of your ancient power fusing with its energy, you now have an immortal soul. I am aware you have no desire to continue living in 'Nameless 1' after all these years. So as a thank you for all you and your family have done to protect this world I am here to offer a deal."

Cale listened quietly, he was aware of his immortal soul but had no desire to tell his companions of it. Immortality is a curse. It is not living forever, that's not what it feels like. Immorality is everyone else dying while you have no choice but to watch. The records of countless allies falling flashed through his head. Although his expression was stoic, his mind was in turmoil. Cale gently closes his eyes.

"Tell me what I have to do first."

"Sealed God" Cale's eyes instantly shot open. 'Sealed god should be locked in the God Death's realm, so why is he being brought up again.' His gaze sharpened as he looked into the abyss-like eyes. God of death knowing Cale's unrest chukled and explained.

"Despair is still sealed. That's not what this is about. Child, despair is also part of life. To know of happiness one needs to experience loss. To see the light you must know of darkness. Yes, the Sealed God can not influence the human realm for sacrifices to grow stronger but despair exists because it is part of life." Death explained which confused Cale more than solving his concerns. Death seeing his dilemma further elaborated.

" Despair wasn't sealed because of his existence, he was sealed due to his greed. Every God has a duty to his domain. To govern it and maintain order. However, despair had used to create chaos because of his greed for strength. Some of his fragments have the help of hunters who are trying to revive him. Every world has a 'protagonist' like in the books you read. Despair's fragments have been influencing these 'protagonists' in multiple dimensions by either possessing or guiding the people around these 'protagonists'."

"Cale Henituse"

Cale got chills From the way his name was called.

"You are a reader, and also the record keeper of these dimensions."

Cale felt a headache brewing. 'Should I just stop reading books? What nonsense is this? I don't want to be a keeper of anything.'

"You will change the fate of these protagonists." God of death finished his speech. He and Cale both knew that Cale could never achieve eternal rest. That was why it baffled Cale to hear this condition. He couldn't fathom why he needed to do this, 'I don't work for free and what I want is not something he can give me, so why am I responsible for the fate of these 'protagonists'?'

"And what will I get?"

Death chuckled, "Your domain."

"I don't need it." Cale firmly refused. 'You want me to be a God you crazy bastard.'