CHAPTER 18

When I opened my eyes again, Zack's face was in my vision. He was human again. Once he saw that I was awake, he leaned back on his knees and sighed.

"Wow, am I glad you're awake. You gave me a scare there, when you were all crazy and stuff," he mentioned. I placed my hand on my forehead. It ached. It was my turn to sigh.

"Look, Zack. I'm so sorry for earlier. I didn't know what happened and I-" Zack placed his finger on my lips and shushed me. My cheeks became a cherry color. He smiled.

"It's okay. I forgive you," he murmured. I slowly nodded my head, my face turning red. My cheeks burned. Zack pulled his finger away from my lips.

"What's the status of the vampire, Alpha?" a voice questioned. Zack turned around. I looked up to see a boy walk over to us. He was tall and slightly toned, his skin a dark chocolate color. As he stood by Zack, he brushed his small sepia mohawk with his fingers.

"Everything's good, Gamma. Stand down," Zack spoke. The boy walked off. Zack sighed and turned back to me.

"Are you okay, though?" he asked. I sat up completely.

"Yeah, I should be fine," I answered. With a huge smile on his face, Zack stood up.

"Well, in that case, I want you to meet my pack." He stepped to the side to reveal two other people standing behind him. And I recognized both of them.

Other than the boy who Zack referred to as "Gamma", Grace stood there, a smile on her face. She played around with her blond fishtail. Her goldenrod eyes lit up when the two of us made eye contact.

"Glad you're not crazy anymore," she spoke. A small smile formed on my mouth.

"I hope so...." I muttered. I turned to look at Mom. She was still on the ground, gasping hoarsely from the gash I gave her. The guilt of what I did sank to the bottom of my stomach. I struggled to bring myself up from the ground.

"Can someone bring my mom over to me?" I questioned. Gamma and Grace dashed over to Mom's barely conscious body and lifted her up. They walked over to me and softly placed her on the ground. I stared at her face. Her gasps became less sporadic and she started to calm down. I smiled. Everything was finally peaceful.

But then just like that, the pain came back. I collapsed and hugged myself, coughing out blood. Gamma and Grace ran to me, but it was Zack who came first. The two stepped back as Zack lifted me up into his arms. He hugged me close to him; I could hear his heartbeat as my head was against his chest.

"It's okay, Gina. I'm right here." he murmured. I curled into a ball and yelped in pain. Soon enough, my throat ached terribly. I clawed at it, but the pain was still agonizing.

"No, Gina. Come back to me," the voice in my head called out. I continued to scratch my throat.

"Help... me...." I croaked. Then, my eyes turned a burnt orange color. The whites of my eyes became black and my fangs came out.

"Gina...? Are you... okay...?" Zack asked with d uncertainty. I turned to him. I felt a sudden pang of hunger. I grinned at him.

"I'm perfect," I responded with a voice like silk. I pushed myself off him and stood up. It felt as though someone, or something, else took over my body. Zack, Grace, and the Gamma watched as I stumbled over to Mom's unconscious body and bent down. I marveled at her neck. My fangs tingled. I couldn't wait to sink them in and taste her blood. Zack's eyes widened as he realized what I was doing.

"Gina, don't do this," he spoke. I ignored him and lifted Mom up by her shoulders. He clenched his fists.

"Gina, don't do this," Zack repeated. "Remember the dog? You're better than that. Just please... Gina...." I raised my eyebrows and sighed. I turned to him, and I gave him a cold look that made him tense up.