Chapter 17 - Imminent War

Start from the beginning

"As you may already know, our principality has been focusing on military strength to counter threats from the east. As a result, we have developed military power ranking among the top in the world and have contributed to the world."

Gillisiera has been tasked with defending the Kingdom of Revizuela from attacks from the east. However, due to this role, they had to emphasize military strength, causing a delay in industrial development and leading them to rely on their military power for mercenary work. Their power, honed over many years, was genuine and highly regarded everywhere. This not only served as a deterrent to invasion against the principality but also elevated its international status as its prowess became recognized. However, it also marked the beginning of new ambitions.

"Our duchy has, until now, revered the Kingdom of Revizuela and maintained relations with Mirishial as the most important nation in the world. However, this time, we have decided to make a significant transition."

'Here we go again.'

Kondō deadpanned and waited for the next words.

"From now on, it will be your country that stands at the pinnacle of the world as the replacement for Mirishial. Our duchy recognizes that our relationship with your country is more significant than with Mirishial, and we would like to establish diplomatic relations. Here is a letter from His Excellency the Duke."

Rusty handed Kondō a letter of great gravity. It included an offer of diplomatic relations, followed by a request for full independence from the Kingdom of Revizuela and advice to limit the dispatch of mercenaries to Japan only, and finally, a proposal for marriage with influential figures in Japan.

After reading everything, Kondō remarked, "Firstly, regarding diplomatic relations, I will contact our homeland and provide a response in due course. Details will follow afterward."

"Thank you very much!"

"Next, regarding support for independence, that seems impossible."

"Why is that? We have heard that your country has supported the independence of subjugated territories suffering under the oppression of Parpaldia and has continued to provide significant assistance. We understand it's a tall request, but please, help our duchy," Rusty said with a hint of frustration.

"What do you mean by 'help'?"

"As I mentioned earlier, our duchy has been protecting the Kingdom of Revizuela from threats from the east. In other words, we have been used as a shield for the kingdom. We have managed to fend off threats so far, but with each exposure to danger, numerous tragedies have occurred. However, rather than appreciating our duchy, which has been defending them at great cost, the kingdom simply spits on us as if it's natural. Furthermore, despite the significant expenses incurred for defense, they mercilessly collect taxes, citing that it's because it's their territory. The amount is also high due to their vast territory. Under such treatment, both I and His Excellency the Duke often wonder why we continue to sacrifice so much in battle and why our people must fall victim to the enemy's blade."

'Quite the playwright.'

Japan already has all the information. The Kingdom of Revizuela has been exerting certain measures to prevent the duchy from seceding. However, these are just carrots and sticks, and if an invasion occurs from the east, the kingdom actually provides assistance in the form of supplies, sending troops, tax reductions, and reconstruction support. Moreover, the taxes originally set are relatively low. Although it was a testimony full of lies, he felt no disdain because it's understood that they were acting in pursuit of their national interests.

And Kondō, too, spoke in accordance with national interests.

"We express our deep respect for the tremendous efforts of your duchy."