chapter twenty-two

┏━━━━━━━◦𑁍◦━━━━━━━━┓
the beginning:
AWOKE, THE
SLEEPING BEAUTY
┗━━━━━━━◦𑁍◦━━━━━━━━┛

━━✥◈✥━━

"ITA-JI...?" she breathes out as her eyes slowly flutter open, Seiren's return to consciousness is gradual like the first rays of dawn breaking through the darkness. At first, she drifts in and out of awareness, sensing faint sounds of monitors around that weave through her fading dream. The gentle murmur of conversations, the soft beeping of medical equipment, and the muffled footsteps in the corridor all create a tapestry of sounds that guide her back to reality.

As she becomes more aware, Seiren notices the comforting weight of a hand resting on her own, a familiar touch that grounds her. Slowly, she opens her eyes, her vision adjusting to the dim light of the room. Her gaze first falls on the figure beside her, recognizing the concerned yet hopeful face of Sakura who was on the verge of tears

A wave of disorientation washes over her, but it quickly subsides as she blinks away the lingering haze. Her body feels heavy, but she takes a deep, steadying breath, her mind slowly catching up to her surroundings. The faces of those around her come into focus, their expressions filled with relief and gratitude.

Kaizen, Naruto, Inojin, Sarada and... Boruto?

Seiren can sense the concern in their eyes, but she offers them a faint, reassuring smile. However, she is still processing the events that led her to this moment. "Sei!" Sarada cries out, jumping beside Sakura and holding onto the railings.

"Thank Kami that you're awake—!" she soon sobs in relief, tears streaming down her face Kaizen quickly pulls out his handkerchief and offers it to her, and instead of taking it, she leans on his chest, sobbing over his vest. Kaizen quickly held her shoulder, rubbing circles as she cried.

Sakura kissed her hand before bringing it to her cheek "I prayed and prayed." She whispered and Seiren only smiled at her. "M-Mama..." she whispered.

Keishi bursted to the door with a bouquet of flowers in his hand "YOUR'E AWAKE-ACK—!" Kaizen puts him in a headlock — his other arm still hasn't falter around Sarada— before he can even step closer to the pair. Sarada sniffs "You've been asleep for a week now. You made us worry..."

Kaizen ignored the grunts and coughs from Keishi as he spoke "We're glad that you're awake now..." Seiren grinned at him before remembering "How is Class rep? Wasabi and Namada? Are they alright?"

The air around grew tense as Sakura looked at Kaizen before looking back at Seiren "T-They're alright... You could see them later on, but for now, we'll check your vitals again, alright? Sarada, dear, can you grab some water for Sei to drink."

Sarada nodded, smiling towards Kaizen before walking back to get to grab a glass of water. Keishi was able to escape from Kaizen's grasp, smiling so widely after glaring at his teacher and placing the bouquet on the desk next to them "Hey champ."

"Kei-nii.."

━━✥◈✥━━

"Sumire... was behind it all?" Seiren reached her hand to cover her lips from shock. Inojin leans on the wall next to her bed, listening to Keishi's recalling of events that happened before she was awake. He thanked the older boy who told her bit by bit rather than telling her all in one wave.