5

Content warning: Mentions of self harm / Trigger warning: Alcoholism
—————————
Time flies quicker than you can comprehend it.

The rest of the day flew by in a haze and Saturday made its way into everyone's lives, bringing with it the start of the weekend.

Paul was at home, all by himself once more, an unlit cigarette dangling from his lips as he got a root beer out of the fridge.

He had spoken just a few minutes earlier to William, having invited him over, since his father was working a double shift and he'd probably be alone all day and throughout most of the night.

Paul walked to his bedroom and sat on his bed, not bothering to close the door. He set the can of root beer on his nightstand before he got up and walked to his window, opening it.

He lit the cigarette between his lips with his gifted lighter before he sat down on his bed, throwing the lighter next to him. He leaned against the pillows, his gaze falling on the ceiling for a few moments as he exhaled the smoke from the cigarette.

Just as he was getting more comfortable in bed, his phone began ringing next to him. He picked it up, looking at the caller ID, before responding.

"Yeah, Dad?" Paul asked, holding his cigarette between his fingers and above the ashtray on the nightstand.

His father coughed briefly before clearing his throat, "Paul, did you take out the trash as I asked you to?" He asked, his voice gruff.

Paul nodded mindlessly, "Yeah, why?" He asked, tilting his head to the side although his father had no way of seeing it.

"Just making sure, Paul." His father responded, "You have food in the fridge, how are you doing?"

Paul shrugged, "I'm alright, how's work going?" He asked, before taking a drag from his cigarette.

"It's fine, nothing for you to worry about." His father reassured him, his tone neutral. Paul nodded at his father's words as he quietly exhaled the smoke that was more often than not poisoning his lungs.

His father continued talking as he heard no response from Paul, "Take care, Paul, I'll see you tonight." He added.

Paul smiled a little, "Thanks, Dad, see you." He responded, soon hanging up.

Paul dropped the phone on his bed and sighed, before taking another drag from his cigarette and blowing the smoke towards the open window.

It was barely 10 AM, and his dad had been gone for 3 hours now. They barely saw each other nowadays, ever since his dad had been promoted to chef at the restaurant he worked at.

Paul was proud of him, but he missed having him around. He somehow missed the fear of being caught smoking in his room — which now was rarely present because of his dad's constant absence.

As he wandered through the memories in his mind, a knock was heard at the front door. He stubbed out his cigarette in the ashtray, dropping it there, before getting up and making his way to the front door.

He looked through the peephole and was met by the sight of his one and only best friend.

Paul opened the door, leaning against it in a mockingly seductive manner "Hey, chief, what can I do for you?" He joked, giving William a grin.

William laughed and shook his head "I thought I'd take you up on your offer and come over." He responded, making his way inside the apartment.

Paul closed the door behind his best friend, "Thank god, I was going to die from boredom." He joked, walking to the kitchen.