Part 29

Chapter 29

THOMAS WAYNE

Thomas Wayne found himself sitting inside a Gotham holding cell. A small white light illuminated the cell, as the seat opposite to him sat empty.

Yet he was aware that he wasn't as alone as it may seem, for a horde of people would be scrutinizing his every move from the other side of the two-sided mirror. His stay would be short-lived, no matter the evidence or the nature of the allegations against him, the Wayne lawyers were probably on their way here, while motions and appeals were being filed this instant on his behalf to secure his release.

The door to the room opened, and the all too familiar face of Gotham's newest DA appeared as Harvey Dent walked into the room.

"I didn't think I would be seeing you again so early, Mr Dent," he remarked as he leaned back in the chair, and the blonde shrugged.

"Me neither," he replied as he sat down in the chair opposite to him and slid forward a folder.

Thomas glanced at it, it was fortification of his right to have a lawyer present.

"Why would I ever sign that?" he said as he slid it back.

He raised his brow as he took a sip of water.

"I don't know, maybe to prove your innocence," he said, and Thomas smiled as he pushed it back.

"I am not an idiot, Mr. Dent. I am innocent, but I am also aware of my rights," he said and the blonde's lips thinned, and there was a momentary narrowing of his eyes as he closed the file and pocketed the pen.

"So, be it then, let us have a talk...."

"I am not saying anything until my layers are here, and by then, I can assure you I will be leaving this place, cutting short this rather lovely reunion," Thomas barked, and he could tell that he had foiled the man's plans as his brows twitched lightly, as Dent leaned back.

"I am surprised. I thought you would be more open, more willing to prove your innocence," he said to Thomas.

"As I said, I am innocent, and that will be proven in due time," he said, and Dent knew that he wasn't going to get a response.

"Still, you do know who Carmine Falcone was?" he questioned, and though the question was innocuous, Thomas knew that in the next series of questions, one wouldn't be.

So, he stayed quiet, smiling, as he waved at the mirror, knowing that a person on the other side would be listening to this whole farce.

0000

RACHEL DAWES

Rachel Dawes was pissed. She was livid, much more than she could ever recall herself being. She strode into the office and watched as her workers backed off until she walked towards the special interrogation room, having already learned where Thomas was being held.

The guards outside tried to stop her, but she gave them a pointed glare as she emphatically mouthed.

"Get out of my way!" They looked at each other, and maybe she realized the threat implied in her tone. She stepped out of her way as she entered the room.

And in there stood the cause of her anger, her boss.

"You!" she snarled as she pointed towards him, as he looked towards her surprised for a second.

"Do you have any idea what you are doing?" she questioned, as her eyes glanced at the rather calm and composed form of Thomas sitting on the opposite side of that two-way mirror.