Chapter 18

Jisoo

I just watch as my parents come in and seem to feel more at home than I do. Jennie ends up getting up to give them space and standing next to me, she looks so tense and nervous that I think she could run out the door at any moment.

"What do I owe the honor of this surprise?" I force myself to say and I notice that Bohyun is also tense. When my parents walked in, I noticed that my mom noticed him and Hoyeon holding hands, but didn't say anything, at least not yet.

"We missed you. You don't answer our calls." my mother says in a cynical tone and I take a deep breath.

"I've been very busy with the musical, I think everyone here is like that." I shrug "And let's say you've never cared so much about miss anything so I'm surprised."

"Speaking of musicals, can we talk about it in the office? In particular?" she continues and I take a deep breath.

"Of course." I force a cough "Can you organize the table and lunch while we talk? It shouldn't take long." I give a brief smile and squeeze Jennie's shoulder.

"I'm surprised to see Jennie here." my mother says and gives a soft smile.

"You asked her to be my partner on this journey, there was no way we could stay apart" I shrug and walk towards the office.

"Come on, Bohyun." my father says as he follows me and I bite my mouth. Shit, they must know something. As soon as they enter, I close the door carefully and Bohyun looks extremely anxious "Imagine my surprise when I found out that you're dating Hoyeon when everyone thinks you and my daughter are engaged." the oldest says as he sits down on one of the chairs. My mom sits next to him and I stand in front of them with Bohyun by my side.

"Bohyun and I haven't been together for a while." I'll get straight to the point. The sooner they know, the better for everyone involved.

"Interesting." my mother says while analyzing us "But how are you going to do the scene in the musical where you kiss? Doesn't Hoyeon care?

"Actually..." Bohyun starts to say.

"Why?" my mother gives an amused smile.

"Because Bohyun is in a relationship and we won't disrespect that." I shrug "He's free to get involved with whoever he wants and if he's interested in Hoyeon, who seems like a good person, that's fine with me. He's my best friend and nothing in the world will change that." I say seriously.

"And there is no one in your life, Jisoo?" my father raises one of his eyebrows.

"How would it have been? All I do is study, I haven't even been eating properly because of this musical and the high expectations you placed on it."

"It must be because our friends and customers are betting big on you." my father straightens up and I know that a speech is coming. "I hoped you two would have common sense and keep up appearances until after the performance, but everyone already knows about your new relationship, Bohyun."

"I have no reason to hide Hoyeon, we're not doing anything wrong and it's been a while since Jisoo and I broke up." the brunette next to me says seriously.

"How long ago did you guys finish?" my mother asks.

"A few months ago." I answer before Bohyun. I'm sure she's trying to confirm something, I just don't know what it is yet.

"There was a friend of yours who seemed to have shown interest in the role of Bohyun in the theater play. He argued that because Bohyun was studying medicine, the presentation could affect the grades." my father says calmly.

"Who?" I frown without understanding who could do that. Bohyun looks as surprised as I am.

"Haein. Jung Haein." my mother gives a half smile.

"He's just an ex-romance of Jisoo who never got over her." Bohyun looks relieved.

"I wouldn't say he's an ex-romance, he's just a boy I kissed a few times at parties and nothing more than that." I shrug "Haein should be worried about his life, not mine and Bohyun's."

"Is there no chance of you getting back together?" my father raises one of his eyebrows.

"No." I say with conviction and they keep watching us.

"Ok then." my father gets up and buttons his suit blazer "Is there lunch for us? I'm hungry." He gives a wide smile and I'm still trying to understand this sudden change in mood.

"Yes, there is enough food for everyone."

"What's the menu?" my mother gets up too and puts her arm around my father's arm.

"Roast chicken, rice, kimchi, salad and some grilled vegetables too." I keep analyzing them.

"Did you two mix eastern and western cuisine? I found interesting." She smiles as she walks towards the door.

"You two?" I say when they open the door.

"You and Jennie" she says with her back to me.

"Yes, I asked for her help to prepare this since she lives here too, in this building." I look at Bohyun who just shrugs as we follow them to the kitchen.

"I know she lives here, on the third floor, right?"

"I think so, I never went to her house." I shrug as soon as we arrive in the kitchen and the girls are already seated.

"Jennie, has my daughter ever been to your house?" my mother says and Jennie seems to be paralyzed just like the girls. I shake my head.

"Not that I remember, we never got along before and it's only now, thanks to the musical, that we've started to get along." Jennie shrugs and starts to serve herself "We only competed before."

"Interesting." my mother says as she settles down "It's always good to make new friends."

"I didn't understand this sudden interest in Jennie." I say as I watch them settle down and start serving themselves.

"I really liked Jennie's work. The color palette and all the dresses she created, I'm in awe of her enormous talent." my mother says and seems sincere, making me squint my eyes to analyze her better "I'm happy that my daughter is surrounded by talented people."

"Thanks." Jennie says shyly and I end up giving a half smile.

As time passes, everyone seems more comfortable with my parents' presence, but I'm still tense and longing for the moment when they leave. My mom spends most of her time talking to Jennie, Seulgi and Irene in the living room, my dad is in a lively conversation with Rosé, Bohyun and Hoyeon while Lisa and I wash the dishes.

"Are you ok?" I hear her say and let out a sigh.

"I don't know, Lili, a lot of things are happening and I don't know what their reaction will be." I say quietly and look around to make sure there is no one nearby.

"Don't you think your mother saying she's happy that Jennie is around doesn't mean something good?" the thai woman says while soaping some dishes.

"Maybe, but she's unpredictable, you know." I bite my mouth and let out another sigh "I need to carefully analyze everything they told me today."

"Jennie is good for you, more than Bohyun ever did."

"Why?" I let out a little laugh when I heard it.

"Because I've never seen you as passionate and committed to someone as you show towards her. I hope you two last a long time, Jichu."

"Me too, Lili, me too."