Chapter Thirty-Four: The Mines, Part I

Suggested Listening:
Really Confused - Alan Silvestri (from Contact) |
...it looks scary
Twilight Zone - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow (from Civil War) |
...mandalore
Lost - Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow (from Civil War) |
...grim journey
Avery's Descent - Henry Jackman (from Uncharted 4) |
...that voice

In many strange ways, Mandalore reminded me of Tatooine. Ostensibly, it was the opposite of the place — glassy and grey-green as opposed to Tatooine's hot sand and ochre mountains, and where Tatooine had two ever-present suns, Mandalore's sky was swirling with noxious-looking clouds, casting the place in a sickly-yet-beautiful wash of silvery light. And yet, with it's jagged, shard-like rocks reaching out of the ground, and the cave openings scattered throughout them, I found myself remembering the deserts of my old planet — missing them, even, when faced with Mandalore's ominous, patina-like shades.

"It looks scary, I know," Din said softly, as though reading my mind — but he was generous enough to direct his sentence to the baby in his arms. "But it was once green and beautiful, back when the songs were written. Every Mandalorian can trace their roots back to this planet, and the beskar mines deep within — and you know what?"

Grogu tilted his head up curiously. I did the same.

"I've never been here either," continued Din, a faraway smile in his voice. He glanced over at me and pointed up through the glass of the viewport into the swirling clouds. "I grew up on a moon just up there. Concordia."

I smiled affectionately, imagining little Din all those years ago — a foundling, orphaned by violence on his home planet before being rescued and brought up by the Watch.

"So, you're not gonna be much of a tour guide, then," I teased, gently.

A warm chuckle rumbled through his vocoder.

"This one's more self-guided," he replied. I smiled. He turned his attention to Grogu, placing him gently in the pilot's seat. "Okay, kid. You stay here. We'll make sure the atmosphere is safe."

Grogu burbled, looking nervous. I squeezed his little hand, affectionately.

"It's okay, kid, we'll be right back."

"Come here," Din murmured, and I obliged. Gently, he reached his thumb under the edge of my helmet and activated some unseen latch. I felt the thing tighten around me, creating a vacuumed seal. I felt myself take a panicked breath, only to find that controlled air was available to me.

"Wow," I mused, the vocoder crackling. "I don't know if anyone's ever said this, but your people really know how to make a helmet."

"I think you're the first," he replied with dry humor.

We sealed the door to the cockpit and stood at the mouth of the exit ramp, hesitating for a moment, Din's hand over the button.

"You ready?"

"I'm ready," I answered, shifting my weight from foot to foot and preparing myself for the unknown.

"Kyra," he said softly, and I turned back to face him. "Thank you. For doing this with me. I never thought—"

He broke off, searching for the words.

"... I guess I always thought if I ever had to do this, I'd have to do it alone."

I felt my lips curl in a tender smile. I reached out and grabbed his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"We're in this together," I said.

He nodded warmly and turned his attention back to the door. After a communal deep breath, he pressed the button and opened the exit.