Chapter Twenty-Six: Sweet Nothings

"I'm not going to last very long," he panted, and I could hear the hint of an embarrassed smile. I grinned, cupping his face with my hand.

"Me neither," I breathed, and kissed him.

I felt him smile against my lips, and then he dropped his head down next to mine, my chin resting on his shoulder.

We came together. I dug my nails into his back as waves of euphoria shocked through me, biting his shoulder to keep from being too loud. His fingers, interlaced with mine, tightened at the zenith. The sounds of his pleasure were borderline addictive — I was so used to hearing him speak in low, measured tones. Tough and stoic. It felt like a privileged secret to hear what happened when all of that dropped away.

The dust settled and we struggled our way back to reality, our ragged breath mingling. He was trembling in my arms.

"Are you okay?" I whispered, my lips curled up at the corners.

"Yeah," he breathed through an audible shaky smile. "Yeah, I'm okay."

After a long moment, he dropped a damp kiss on my forehead and rolled off of me onto his back, bringing my hand with him. He held it tightly and rested it on his chest, which was rising and falling with his labored breath.

I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe we were here, and this was happening. It felt like an out-of-body experience, like I'd been zapped into one of my own dreams that couldn't possibly be real — yet, at the same time, nothing had ever felt this real before in my entire life.

We lay next to each other, the warm, comfortable silence punctuated only by our breaths finding steady rhythm once more. I had almost fallen asleep when Din's voice startled me.

"I, um..." he began, his chest rumbling against my hand. "I've never kissed anyone before."

My head whipped around to look at him involuntarily, forgetting that I had a blindfold on.

"You've... you've never kissed anyone before?"

"No." He sighed, a nervous laugh covering his concern. "I haven't taken my helmet off in front of another living thing since I took the creed as a child. I mean, except for... except for before. And tonight, I guess I technically... It's complicated."

I winced. He sounded confused. Excellent, Moss, I scolded myself in my head. You just had to give in to your carnal desires and completely ruin a man's entire relationship with his religion.

"Are you okay?" I asked, tentatively.

"Yes," he answered, quickly. "I'm just... I wanted you to know in case I wasn't good at it."

I laughed in surprise, then immediately felt bad about it.

"I'm not laughing at you," I assured, rolling over and leaning on his chest, touching my nose to his — which is slightly difficult by feel. "I just never would've guessed, you're... very good at it."

He laughed self-consciously, which I stopped with a long kiss. His naked skin felt deliciously hot and soft against mine. When our lips disconnected, I chuckled to myself.

"I haven't kissed anyone myself in a very, very long time. Years. Was I any good?"

"Hmm," he laughed softly, a wry edge punctuating the sweetness. He stroked my hair, gently. "You... are very good at everything."

I laughed and gasped in faux-shock.

"Filthy!" I kissed him again as punishment. "Besides," I said slightly sheepishly, sitting up and placing my hands on his strong sternum. "Of course you'd say that if you have nothing to compare it to."

I heard the rustle of sheets and felt his abdomen muscles contract as he lifted his upper body to a sitting position.

"Actually," he said, one hand playing with a tendril of hair near my ear. "That part I have done before."

I felt a subtle stab of jealously, intermingled with a little sigh of relief — that would've been a lot of pressure.

"Oh?"

"There have been... interactions in my past, yes."

"I see," I said, softly. "But then... how is it that you've never kissed anyone?"

He swallowed and considered the question for a moment.

"I'd have to take my helmet off," he said in a low, sincere voice. "I guess I never felt like I could trust someone enough to try."

My breath caught in my chest. I bit my lip to keep my face from cracking into a massive, beaming smile, wishing desperately that I could see the look in his eyes. I felt my way to his face and lay my hand tenderly along his cheek and chin, running my thumb slowly over the shape of his lips. Then, I leaned forward and kissed him passionately, trying to convey with every movement how much I was feeling, how safe I wanted him to feel, how much I treasured what he had just said. He reciprocated, placing a large, strong hand on my hip and scooting me closer to him, fusing our bodies together once more.

...We didn't get much sleep that night.