Chapter Fifteen: Brown Eyes

Suggested Listening:
Guys, I was so unimaginative on this one, I had film-score block I'm so sorry 😆
What songs would you suggest??
In the mean time, listen to:
The Armor - Ludwig Goransson
Invaders on Their Land - Ludwig Goransson
Brown Eyes - Ludwig Goransson

BETTER SUGGESTIONS NEXT CHAPTER I PROMISEEEE

Morak was a lush, green planet that had an ethereal sense of serenity and nature about it — until you stepped out of the rainforest onto a ledge and saw an ominous Imperial tunnel skewering the base of the mountain below — Which is exactly what we all found ourself doing that afternoon. That and bickering about who was going to supervise Mayfeld once he got inside the Imp base. Cara had volunteered first, but Mayfeld had vetoed the idea — and for good reason.

"Hey, as much as I'd like to take a road trip with Rebel-dropper over here, that's not gonna work."

"Oh yeah?" Cara raised a sarcastic eyebrow. "Why's that?"

"Well," answered Mayfeld with a smug edge. "Because these Remnant bases are set up and run by ex-ISB. If you get scanned and your genetic signature shows up on any New Republic register, you're gonna be detected — and it's guns out."

"You sure do know a lot about Imperial remnants," observed Cara suspiciously.

"Hey, if you wanna accuse me of something then just say it!"

I exchanged an eye roll with Din.

"We don't have time for this," he interjected. "Fennec will go."

"No, I'm wanted by the ISB," Fennec said with a shrug. "I'll trip the alarm, too."

I felt my pulse quicken — I wasn't on any New Republic register, but I had spent my entire upbringing crossing paths with Imperial officers and mercenaries. If even one of them recognized me, it wouldn't just ruin my own anonymity, it would bring a mess down on every one of us.

"Fett?" Din turned helplessly to the other armored man.

"Let's just say they might recognize my face," he replied with an amused lilt.

"Okay, what about the silent princess over here?" Mayfeld pointed to me.

Silent princess, I thought with amusement. I bet that's a nickname Din never would've ascribed to me.

I didn't want to volunteer any information. I flashed a look at Din, shaking my head almost imperceptibly, and he seemed to understand.

"No."

"I'm not gonna steal your girl if that's what you're worried about! Besides, she's not my type." Mayfeld gave me the once over. "No offense."

"None taken," I replied, curling my lip in distaste.

"She's the best sharpshooter here," Din said stonily. "We need her covering the escape route."

I felt a swell of pride and avoided Fennec's gaze — realistically, we were probably equally matched, but I appreciated the praise all the same.

"Great," said Mayfeld. "So it's me goin' in alone."

"No way." Cara Dune shook her head. "The minute he gets inside, he'll tip 'em off — he'll be a hero."

"Hey, this wasn't my idea!" Mayfeld held his hands out and let out an incredulous laugh. "I'm doin' you guys a favor!"

"Deal's off," barked Cara. "I'm taking him back."

"I'll go."

I wheeled around to face Din, surprised to hear him volunteer himself.

"Hey buddy," chuckled Mayfeld. "I might be good at fast-talking, but I don't think I can explain away a guy in a Mando suit to Imperial guards. So unless you're gonna take off that helmet, it's gonna be me goin' in alone."