Chapter Twenty-Five: Home

Suggested Listening:
Temptation - Natalie Holt (from Loki) | ...awake
Ravona's Mission - Natalie Holt (from Loki) | ...thoss
Ohio, 2018 - Natalie Holt (from Loki) | ...vibrations in the floor
Marion's Theme - John Williams (from Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Vienna Philharmonic version) | ... back in hyperspace

Ok listen lol I'm on a big Loki kick because the score is incredible, and I'm sorry, but you're just NOT gonna get more romantic than Marion's Theme! That being said, I found it rather hard to find exactly the right score for this moment, so pls let me know your suggestions in the comments!

The first thing I felt was intense, almost painful thirst.

My eyes felt glued shut and I couldn't tell whether I was vertical or horizontal, but I knew that my mouth was desperately dry. I coughed and slowly began trying to activate my muscles — my fingers moved first, then my feet, until finally I could drag my palms to the cold concrete I was laying on and push myself up to a sitting position.

My head spun. I took a reeling look around me and could only make out that I was in a large, dark room. There were figures in the corners. They were blurry forms, but I could assess that they were holding long weapons.

But the smell was what made it clear. I knew that smell — I couldn't even describe what it was, it wasn't any specific odor in particular, but it was as familiar to me as my own skin. I was home. My old home. My family's compound.

Instantly, my heart began to race as I swallowed and rubbed my eyes, trying to get my wits about me. As I moved, I saw one of the shadowy figures leave his post and exit through a sliding cement door. It slammed shut with an echoing thrum that caused my head to ache.

It was becoming clear, now. I leaned back on my hands and surveyed the guards surrounding me. I didn't recognize any of them — Well, of course, I thought bitterly. None of the lower-level men from six years ago are still alive. They're expendable.

I eyed them warily and clambered to my feet. When I took one step toward the door, all of them raised their weapons and trained them directly at my head. I froze, lifting my hands in cautious acquiescence. Raising my gaze, I spied a platform second level wrapping around the edge of the room, atop which stood six more guards.

After a moment, the door scraped open again. I squinted against the white light that poured into the dark room. In walked a tall, imposing silhouette, flanked by the guard that had left us only moments ago.

"Hello, daughter."

His icy voice lifted the hair on the back of my neck. My jaw set as the door closed and my father's face was visible in the dim light.

He looked older than when I'd last seen him. I supposed that was a given — I knew I looked older, too — and yet, just now, I felt my independence and wisdom and pride in my own abilities crumbling away. It was like being in front of him again stripped me of the last six years, leaving me a frightened child once again.

"It's funny, isn't it?" His pale eyes flashed with danger. "Home again?"

"This isn't home," I muttered, but my voice had a detectable waver.

His eyes narrowed and he cocked his head.

"That isn't very nice to hear," he said. "Is it, Thoss?"

My brother emerged from behind him, and my heart stopped. I had seen him back on Tatooine, from afar, but this was the first time in so long that I'd actually been able to look at him properly. He was towering, now — like our father — and his face no longer looked boyish and round. Instead, his copper curls hung over an angular freckled face, with a man's jaw and older-looking blue eyes. A painful lump appeared in my throat, and despite everything, I had to fight the urge to reach out to him. I realized that that poor little boy had been left behind, not once, but twice — and the latter by his own sister.