Chapter Twelve: Ahsoka Tano

Suggested Listening:
Through the Bamboo Forest - Tan Dun (from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) | ...meeting the magistrate and following directions
A Mandalorian and a Jedi - Ludwig Goransson (from The Mandalorian) | ...from the trees
Ahsoka Lives - Ludwig Goransson (from The Mandalorian) |
...grogu
Night Fight - Tan Dun (from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) | ...through the viewfinder
Yearning of the Sword - Tan Dun (from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) |
...promises kept

"This... this is not good..." I muttered under my breath to Din as we stood in front of the large gates and waited.

After wandering through the skeletal woods for a while, we had been shepherded into a walled town by ominous-looking guards and led through shuttered, though beautiful, homes and the occasional fearful faces of residents to see "the magistrate"... and one sideways glance at the pleading prisoners caged in painful-looking electric hutches told me that "the magistrate" wasn't going to be a barrel of laughs.

Din glanced ever so slightly at me, his left hand hovering protectively over the kid, who was sitting curiously in a swinging carrier under Din's cloak.

The doors swished open and we entered a beautiful, tranquil garden in front of a massive rotund temple. Leaning over the pond, sprinkling something into the water, was a tall, regal-looking woman.

Is this the Jedi? I wondered privately. I had always pictured them a bit like this — Father used to describe them as "delusional spiritualists", which to me conjured up a somewhat poetic image of quiet reflection over pools of water with petals floating by... this wasn't too far off.

"Come forward," she said without looking at us in a voice that matched her imposing demeanor. We obliged. "You are a Mandalorian?"

"Yes," replied Din tentatively. Something stirred in the water beside the woman.

"I have a proposition that may interest you," she said.

Ahh, I thought. This is the Magistrate, then.

"My price is high," said Din, stoically.

The Magistrate looked at us for the first time, taking a step toward us... squaring off. I glanced at the spear-bearing droid guard behind her, still and threatening.

"This target is priceless," she said enticingly. "A Jedi plagues me. I want you to kill her."

"That's a difficult task," he countered.

"One that you are well-suited for," she pressed. "The Jedi are the ancient enemy of Mandalore."

I glanced over at Din, intrigued as always to learn more about his history.

"As I said," repeated Din. "My price is high."

The Magistrate flicked her eyes over to me, contemplating me for a moment.

"Your second?" She said, looking back to Din.

He nodded to me without looking.

"She's the muscle."

It took every ounce of control not to widen my eyes or cast him a chastising look. Not the time, laserbrain.

I clasped my hands in front of me and tried to make my shoulders and chest look more muscular and imposing.

After a moment of surmising thought, she gestured behind her, and the droid guard sprang to life, approaching her and handing her the spear. She handled it with reverence, though her body still seemed dangerously coiled — like she could use it on us successfully at any moment.