“A thrill as always.”

“There’s always Orion.”

“Absolutely not.”

“I think Kieran is supposed to mean ‘dark one’ or something like that.”

“Do the meanings matter that much to you?” Pitch gave you another funny look.

“I’m gonna write it down before you turn it away,” you replied before turning back to your list in hand. Once you finished, you looked around at the nearby bookshelves against the walls. “Maybe we should look through some more books for ideas.”

“If only there was a library nearby.”

“Oh, stop.” You gave an eye roll at the Nightmare King’s humor. “I think I left another book I was looking through last night by the bed, would you mind getting it?”

Without question, Pitch then rose to his feet upon your request. “Don’t go running off,” he joked again.

“Very funny,” you responded dryly. “Don’t worry, I’ve got a bowling ball pinning me down.”

He glanced back at you over his shoulder in amusement before exiting the room. With that, you tucked away your pencil into the novel in your hands and set it off to the side on the table by your chair. You then folded your hands over the top of your bump and relaxed back into the cushioned fabric of the lounge seat. Your fingers twiddled and thrummed as you waited patiently during your alone time for the next few minutes. When you stared down at the roundness sitting atop your hips, you considered talking to them to pass the time as your curiosities drew in.

What would they be like? Head-strong and worthy of leading like Pitch? Or adventure-driven and creative like you? Perhaps a mix of both. Which one of you would they look more like? Maybe they would grow near their father’s height once they got older - if they could get much older. The effects of immortality were still up in the air in terms of how they would impact your child. If they inherited his broad shoulders though, it would probably make you run for your money. On the brighter side of things, they were to be the prince or princess of your kingdom after all. And you were to be their mother. And Pitch - while you wondered his hesitations at his second attempt beneath his willingness and loyalty - will be their father. Past the collection of worries, you looked forward most of all to the image of you and Pitch introducing them to their first mare of their own when they came of age, teaching them the works of the galleon, telling them tales from the stars.

You smoothed your hands down over the front of your cloak, inhaling deeply and shutting your eyes. At the fullness of your lungs, just before you released your breath, a small twinge in your side built up. You furrowed your brows together but thought nothing of it as you exhaled. Being eight months in already, these were not uncommon sensations and no longer crossed your mind as something to be concerned of. Usually, a bit of walking around here and there helped them go away. You sat up a bit in your chair and leaned to one side for a moment, face scrunching up as the twinge built into a more intense pressure. However, as you counted in the seconds, the pain stayed there for longer than normal and seemed to continue to grow. A burning like fire spread over the sudden inferno of your abdomen. Your eyes shot back open.

Uh oh.

“Pitch…?!” You called out in your oncoming panic. You had only then noticed he was already reentering the library.

“That much of a rush for a book?” He held up the other novel that he had grabbed for you as he approached. But halfway into the space, he noticed your distress and stopped in his tracks. “...(Y/n)?”

“Something’s not right,” you spoke under your breath with a slight shake in your voice. You set your hand against your side in hopes to ease the discomfort somehow. This prompted Pitch to make his way over to you the rest of the way. He set down the book in hand upon the other book you had placed on the table to your right. That’s when he knelt down in front of you to be more at eye level, granting you all his attention.