Kill the psychology

Tatsumi rolled around his futon, evading the thin rays of light peering into the bedroom. He was expecting the sunset provided that he slept through but it seemed to be early afternoon. 

“Didn’t sleep that long, huh…” He yawned, while he tidied up Sayo’s and Ieyasu’s futon. The events of the last night still lingered in his mind. Hell, he might have dreamed about them. 

“The husband has an alibi…Why would someone kill his spouse anyway?” The officer mumbled to himself as he rubbed the sleep sand out of his eyes. 

“Nggggh!” He dragged his hand away from the hot stove boiling water for his tea. His friends had eaten the omurice he had brought yesterday, so he just chugged a bit of oatmeal and milk into his bowl. The familiar bland taste slowly grated against his taste buds as the events from the last night repeated themselves. He forced the sticky mass down his windpipe and dropped his spoon into the full bowl.

At the very least, it was the wife of the casino owner and not the butchered prostitute. 

The officer took a sip from his green tea to wash down the sour aftertaste. “This won’t stop until the case is solved, huh?” He glanced at the muddied reflection in his tea. “No, I won’t work today.” He told himself. Only a few seconds later, he forced out a loud sigh. He emptied his mug, slapped on his armor and made his way to the police department. 

“Tatsumi? What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to have the day off?” 

“Good afternoon, vice-captain Hachirō.” Tatsumi saluted and fell into his seat at his desk. “I was supposed to but I couldn’t sit still, so before I bore myself to death…might as well do some work.” 

“That’s the spirit! Seryu would be proud of you.” Hachirō chuckled. “How was the shift?” 

His hand quickly stroked over his face. “Eventful. A few thugs tried to break into a store. There were also a bunch of murders. One was self-defense. The other could have been suicide and the last one could have been some random maniac with a grudge against prostitutes. They found 2 more prostitutes massacred the same way.” 

“And…how are you?” The older man maintained his intent stare towards his colleague. He has probably figured out by now why Tatsumi showed up more or less voluntarily. 

“I’m alright. It was hard to stomach at first, but I’m getting better.” 

“Ok. By the way, do you want to come over for dinner with my family?” There it was again. That bright, goofy grin across both cheeks. 

“With all due respect, vice-captain. I can’t. If I keep eating the excellent cuisine your wife serves I won’t be able to stand my own food at home anymore…” The teenager made a nervous chuckle. 

“Then you’ll just come over every day. Bring your friends too. Then they can meet my family too.” 

The father might have snickered but Tatsumi suspected that he was dead serious when he made that offer. “Speaking of family…They called it ‘the average domestic’. The wife hung from the ceiling, the kitchen was a mess and the husband walked in on it with the kids.” 

“Oh…that’s rough.” Hachirō replied. “Any ideas yet?” 

“Not really…theft doesn’t seem to be it since nothing has been stolen. It could have been suicide as I already said, but the ravaged kitchen doesn’t fit into that. It was probably the mob trying to get at the father.”

“And the husband?” 

“We’ve asked in the casino. His employees confirmed he was working in his office for most of the evening. Why?”