He grabbed the tray, "Actually don't eat at all. I've made your favourite foods."

She laughed as he took the tray back in.

Her eyes trailed back to her son, who was still looking in the direction her husband had left in and smiling.

She took a sip, looking at him. He was quiet, you would have to instigate conversation, even if you were his mother.

"How was Eid prayer?"

"So good! My friends were there, and Aasira insisted we bring Diego, and the poor boy fell asleep half way through."  But when her son started talking, there was no stopping him.

"Why didn't you come? Also Uncle Xavi came!" He was brimming with excitement as he spoke about his uncle who had reverted recently.

"I did want to go, but I feel unwell." As she aged, the craze of youth caught up to her. Chronic fatigue was one of the things she struggled currently. She was growing old.

"Also that's great! How is he?"

Xavier was a nuisance, he had moved out of the attic 6 months ago and moved into the house that Alayna had bought him. Since then he would provide his mischievous niece, before Alayna could lecture her.

This was why Alayna refused to talk to him most days.

"He's fine. He asked if you still wanted to chop of his head?"

"Yes, yes I do." My answer made Cihan laugh. "Did Aasira make it?"

"Yes but-" He looked at his mother nervously.

"But what?"

"She arrived at the mosque covered in mud."

Alayna burst out in laughter.

"This girl! How does that even happen?"

"I don't know, but I gave her my jacket to pray on so she wouldn't dirty mosque carpets."

"Good thing I bought a spare outfit for her."

"Mamu said they are coming soon."

Alayna's beloved bhai had come for Eid, she had insisted they stay in her house, but he didn't want to burden them, with his 5 children. So she paid for their hotel and gave all the kids and her bhabhi money, purposely ignoring her dear cousin, who was ultimately jealous. It was as if they weren't parents of multiple kids. They were just cousins, who couldn't live with each other nor without each other.

They had come from Pakistan two days ago. He wanted to make a holiday out of it as he hadn't been able to take his family abroad often.

"Mum when are we next going on holiday?"

"I was thinking of going on ski holiday, in the winter. How does that sound?" She looked to see him bursting at the seams with happiness.

"Yes yes yes!"

They carried on talking and eventually the doorbell sounded just as Alayna finished eating.

She walked through to find the kitchen spotless with all the food plated and displayed beautifully on their table.

He'd outdone himself, some dishes were from Pakistan, her eye zoned to the Biryani. Others from Spain, such as Paella. Her eyes stopped at one dish, a small one but stacked with the food.

Pelmeni.

A Russian dish.

She knew this as she'd tried making them after Mikhail had told her they were her favourite. Her attempt wasn't great but he had greatly appreciated her effort.