Chapter 41 - Hyung-nim!

Start from the beginning

"Do I know you?"

Basen flinched when he heard Deon ask him that question, he realized that his hyung-nim didn't remember anything about his past. No, perhaps it was for the better. They could treat him right and he wouldn't know of their past deeds, their past mistakes.

"Hyung-nim I-"

"Deon."

Deon immediately turned around when he heard Cruel call for him, he made his way back to his older brother who fixed the scarf around his neck. He didn't know why but he had a sudden urge and opened his mouth.

"...Hyung-nim.."

Cruel stood there still for a brief moment before a smile made its way onto his face. Deon could even see a flowery aura surrounding Cruel, did he make a mistake?

(That was the best decision you have ever made)

"Let's head back now, you're gonna catch a cold."

"I'm coming!"

Deon went in front of Cruel who then looked back at Basen who was staring at the two's interaction in jealousy. He gave a triumphant smirk before turning back to Deon who was now rambling about the sweets he wanted to try once they got back.

Basen who saw Cruel's smirk gritted his teeth and scowled, he realized that the man in front of him knew that was Cale who had lost his memories. He was sure of it, the man was taking advantage of him! He needed to report this to Choi Han and Eruhaben-nim, thankfully Raon was also there and quickly teleported them back to their temporary base.

***

"My Lord, you have returned."

"Remember."

Deon looked at the manor for a while, he could see the painting of him and his family was now uncovered, still shining ever since.

'My family...'

Even as Cale Henituse, he never had a picture of himself and his family, so seeing a picture with him in it along with his family made him feel bitter.

"Do you want another picture? We can go commission one."

"Can we?"

"If that's what you want then I'll get multiple."

Cruel smiled as he and Deon walked past the painting of their family hung on the wall. If a picture of them is what Deon wants, then he will make sure that Deon gets something even better than just one picture.

He and his parents took a wrong approach at first to the frail Deon, but now, he'll make sure that Deon will get whatever it was that he wanted.

"Sir Cruel, someone is requesting for your presence."

"Who is it?"

"He claims that his name is Senzer."

Cruel frowned at the familiar name, if it was Senzer then it was the last loyal person he had on his side, at least before he was bribed by the Duke.

There were two possibilities as to why Senzer was here. One was to pry information out of him on why he 'betrayed' the Duke or two, join his side once again.

'It's most likely the former option.'

It was obvious with the fact that Stave Illustre had already bribed Senzer. But did Cruel care anymore? The answer was no, he found a way to protect Deon openly and he will stick to that.

The moment the negotiations started between the Demonic Realm and Human Realm, the Duke wouldn't be able to continue the assassination attempts unless he wanted this Empire to get wiped out of existence.

Cruel opened the door to the reception room and spotted Senzer sitting inside. He didn't feel like taking time to talk to a disloyal person decided to make it quick. Besides, his baby brother was waiting for him in the indoor garden to try the new pastries brought in by Remember, how can he miss a moment of eating with Deon?

"Make it quick, what do you want?"

"...Why did you betray the Duke?"

And he was right, Senzer came here to ask him about the Duke. If it was the latter then he would've stayed longer and ask for Senzer's motives, but since it wasn't then there was no need to pry any information out of him.

"You seem to have forgotten everything ever since the Duke bribed you, but it longer matters. It's actually best for me if you forgot why I joined him in the first place."

Cruel walked out of the reception room, he could spot Senzer chasing after him in the corner of his eye as he made his way to the indoor garden that was specifically made for Deon. He ignored Senzer's yelling as Remember escorted him out.

He felt nostalgia walking through the hallways, it's been so a long time since he stepped foot into the Hardt manor.

"Hyung-nim, you're back! How was your conversation?"

"Deon, you should have eaten while waiting for me."

It seemed that Deon had gotten more comfortable with the term 'hyung-nim' as he was now calling Cruel that without hesitation. Of course, even if Deon didn't want to call him that, Cruel wouldn't force it upon him.

He sat down beside Deon who was now eating a strawberry chocolate mousse. Cruel called in a servant to pour in tea for them, he made sure that it was a sweet flavor rather than sour or bitter. He thought of a flavor that his baby brother would like.

"Get us Golden Lily tea."

The servant left for a moment after receiving the order from Cruel. They returned shortly after a few minutes with a tray in their hands, the servant then poured the Golden Lily tea into the two cups and left.

"You should drink something if you're going to eat."

"Is it bitter?"

"No, it's sweet."

Deon took the cup of tea and took a sip after Cruel's confirmation. He didn't think much of it, but it was really good.. And sweet as well, it reminded him of the Milk Oolong's he would tend to drink as Kim Rok Soo.

(A/N): Golden Lily is just the english name of Milk Oolong... But I'll pretend it's not for the sake of my sanity

"It's sweet.. It's like flowers and apricots in the spring, I like it."

'The exact same taste as mother too, looks like we'll have to stock up on Golden Lily leaves.'

Cruel recalled about their mother's taste, she didn't care much about what she ate but she liked Golden Lily too particularly. A lot of the times, she would even have it during dinner or doing documentaries. Because of that, their father had to stock up on Golden Lily leaves to satisfy the deceased Countess.

***

Worked on this a day ago, stopped and started a new fanfic, went back here for a bit, began another fanfic, and then finished the concept and possible plot for Cale in twtptflob...

Naming chapters is such a hassle that I don't even bother to do so on AO3 😭😭😭