Chapter 7 (Part 3)

Meanwhile, Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory reach the outskirts of Asbranne, arriving on the earthy soil of the Gloomy Forest. They hasten forward, their brisk paces causing their hair to tousle. As they rush, they look ahead and spot Sierra Umbria under the radiance of the bright full moon. They continue, neglecting the dirt that gets in their way.

     As they venture deeper into the Gloomy Forest, Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory encounter a thick veil of mist obscuring their view. Yet, filled with the determination to be on Jean's side, they persevere and hurry onward. The fog is a burden, thwarting their path like a solid block.

     Continuing their journey into the woods, they progressed steadily, and Josephine sensed the urge to shout Jean's name. As the three slowed their steps, stepping onto a rocky path, Josephine wagged her head, searching for Jean's trace. Gathering a deep breath, she mustered the courage to shout, hoping her son would hear her calls.

"Jean! Where are you!?" Josephine yelled, her voice straining. "Jean!!"

As they walked forward, Gregory noticed Josephine yelling Jean's name. Mimicking her action, he raised his voice and called out as well. "Jean!"

"Jean!" Josephine called, cupping her mouth with her hands.

     While the three strutted along, Oliver felt chills running down his spine. It felt like the sharp tip of a blade was caressing his skin, gently but ominously sliding down his body. Oliver froze, blocked by the wind blowing before him. He gritted his teeth and furrowed his eyebrows, focusing on the environment.

     Josephine and Gregory spotted Oliver pausing, prompting them to halt as well. Yet, they continued shouting, drawing the attention of anything within earshot. Meanwhile, Oliver held his breath, concentrating deeply on the surroundings.

"Jean!" Josephine shouted.

"Jean!!" Gregory followed, raising his voice.

     Slowly but surely, Oliver's eyes widened, threatening to pop out. His heartbeat grew relentless, thumping like a drum. Swiftly, he pivoted and faced Josephine and Gregory, raising his finger to his lips.

"Shh!" Oliver shushed Josephine and Gregory, raising a finger to his lips.

"Jean!" they continued.

"Quiet...!" Oliver said, restraining his voice.

     Josephine and Gregory came to a sudden halt, their eyes locking onto Oliver in unison. The three stared at each other in the eyes, and no word but deep breaths passed through their mouths. Breaking the lingering silence, Oliver stepped closer and spoke, lowering his voice.

"Something is surrounding us..." Oliver whispered.

     Gregory furrows his eyebrows and looks around, although he only sees a white canvas of fog. He squeezes his eyes, grasping a better view of the elusive environment. Opening his coat, Gregory grabs his sceptre and taps it against the ground twice. Then, the mist disperses, fading away and revealing a horrific scene that almost causes Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory's heartbeats to cease.

     Surrounding Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory, tall beings in the colour of trees stand. With their mouths agape, their fangs shine against the darkness, revealing themselves before Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory. The entities screech and bellow, their guttural sounds echoing across the dense forest.

"Ahh!" Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory gasped, their eyes widening in shock.

     Instinctively, Oliver clenches his fists and opens them, summoning fireballs above his palms. The flames roar, causing the surrounding threats to recoil briefly. The entities pause and hold their stances, their piercing glares fixed on Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory.

     Oliver points his palms towards the creatures, causing them to step back, frightened by the blazing fire. Meanwhile, Josephine and Gregory, like magnets, stick closely to Oliver. Panting, Oliver turns and extends the flame in his hands towards the approaching threat on the other side. In response, the wood-like beings stop and hiss at Oliver.

"When I say run, we run," Oliver stammered, his eyes fixed on the threats.

"What!?" Gregory murmured anxiously.

     Like a crashing wave, the entities surge and charge towards Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory. The three gasp, their hearts on the verge of pausing. Hurriedly, Oliver sends the fireballs to the ground, blasting them towards the creatures' path. Then, the fallen leaves ignite like a dynamite, scaring the otherworldly beings surrounding them.

     The fire quickly spreads and engulfs the area, blocking the creatures' path and preventing them from touching Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory. The entities pull back and fizzle, glaring at the three people before them. Meanwhile, Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory pant, their chests heaving in surprise.

"Run!" Oliver shouted.

     Swiftly, Oliver, Josephine, and Gregory turn on their heels and hasten from the scene. Guided by the moonlight, they hurry from the creatures that surround them. Slowly, their figures disappear amidst the smoke that swallows the land.