Chapter 7 (Part 1)

Jean climbs higher and higher up the slope, his feet burrowing into the soil. As he walks forward, he tilts his head and gazes at the mountain before him. The sight of the scenery bears down upon him, burdening his back as he ascends. Sweat drips from his forehead, prompting him to wipe it off with his wrist.

     As Jean ascends, each step an arduous battle against gravity, his knees betray him like a crumbling pillar succumbing to the world's weight. The mounting pressure intensifies with every upward stride, causing his legs to tremble and falter, threatening to give way beneath him. The strain pulses through his weary joints, sending waves of discomfort radiating upward. With each passing moment, the sensation of them crumbling grows more pronounced—as if the foundation of his stability is on the verge of collapse. Yet, driven by determination and an indomitable spirit, Jean persists, pushing through the agony with each laboured step, refusing to let his weakening knees hinder his ascent to the summit.

     The relentless wind howls, its haunting whispers caressing Jean's ears like the breath of unseen spectres. Undeterred by the chilling gusts, Jean forges ahead, his resolute footsteps echoing in harmony with the rising tempo of his heartbeat. Each thump reverberates through his chest—a rhythmic reminder of his perseverance. With each step, the beat grows more pronounced, resonating with an intensity that matches the escalating symphony of nature's forces.

     As Jean strides onward, a sudden, haunting howl resonates behind him. A chill washes over him as a cold sensation touches his spine. Jean pauses, freezing on the spot as his eyes widen. Slowly, Jean turns on his heels and inspects whatever lurks in the darkness behind him.

     Surprised, Jean's eyes pop open. Standing a few yards before him are two men draped in dark leather robes. They are none other than the wardens summoned by Christina.

     The first warden suddenly charges forward, grabbing Jean by the throat and pinning him to a tree. Jean releases a sharp yelp as he flinches instinctively. Quickly, he seizes the warden's wrist and tries to remove his grasp. However, his attempts prove futile as the warden stands unyielding. Jean groans as his eyebrows furrow.

     Fighting back, Jean uses his knees and kicks the warden's stomach twice. But, the warden only receives a few damages, groaning but not letting him go. The warden tightens his grip around Jean's throat, suffocating him. Jean moans in pain as he struggles to remove the enemy's hold.

     Refusing to succumb to misery, Jean snatches his dagger from his pocket and stabs the warden's forearm. With a loud grunt, the warden releases Jean, and he falls to the ground. Swiftly, Jean crawls away, but his ankles betray him, not allowing him to stand up easily.

     Unexpectedly, the second warden pulls Jean's legs, and he releases a sharp yell. Clenching his fists, Jean kicks the warden's head, but he refuses to let go of his grip. But, on the fifth kick, the warden inadvertently releases his grasp as he falls on his back. Hurriedly, Jean grabs a handful of gravel from the ground and throws it towards the warden, distracting him.

     Just as Jean was about to hasten away, the first warden seized him and looped his arms around his figure. Jean gasped in surprise as he felt his feet bidding farewell to the ground. Groaning, he struck his elbow against the warden's face, prompting him to let go of him. As Jean was dropped to the ground, he kicked the warden's shin, causing him to fall over. Swiftly, he conjured his strength and stood up.

     Jean quickly grabbed every potion bottle in his sling bag and threw them towards the wardens. Then, the concoctions exploded, summoning a thick veil of smoke. Seizing the opportunity to escape, Jean turned and hurried up the slope.

     Jean hastened as he removed his sling bag and dropped it to the ground, leaving it behind. As he climbed higher, he quickened his pace, trying to evade the enemies as quickly as possible. Mustering his resolve, Jean braced and prepared for the incoming threats ahead.