Chapter 8 - Japan's Strategy in the New World

Start from the beginning

The Russo-Japanese War broke out in the 37th year of Meiji, in the year 1904 AD. This war ended in a judgment victory for Japan, achieving its goal of defending against the Western powers, which was the purpose of its modernization. Afterward, Japan increased its influence in the Korean Peninsula, Manchuria, and northern China. Why was it necessary to actively expand influence beyond its borders? It was for the sake of self-defense. Not just Japan, no nation desires its territory to become a battlefield or its land to be consumed by war.

In the Russo-Japanese War, the battlefield was dangerously close to Japan's mainland, posing a real risk of such a scenario. Therefore, by placing its neighboring regions under its influence, Japan ensured that these countries would serve as buffer zones in the event of war. There is also a theory that the Korean campaigns were aimed at countering the expansion of Spain and Portugal, which were invading various regions around the world.

In this way, major powers that influence the world endeavor to keep the battlefield away from their own territories. For example, the United States also placed Hawaii and the Philippines under its influence to reduce the risk of direct invasion to its mainland. However, this led to conflicts with Japan, which also sought to keep the battlefield away to the east. Of course, that alone wasn't the sole cause, but it's undeniable that Japan was perceived as a threat to American safety.

And thus, in the 14th year of Shōwa, in the year 1939 AD, the outbreak of World War II finally led both countries to war. As you know, the result ended with Japan's defeat. Afterward, without extending its influence externally, Japan devoted all efforts to the reconstruction and development of its homeland, while also focusing on strengthening its military for self-defense.

Then, in the 27th year of Heisei, in the year 2015 AD, according to the Central Calendar Year 1639, the Japanese archipelago underwent a dimensional shift. The cause of this shift remains unknown to this day, but it resulted in various major issues that needed immediate resolution.

First and foremost, there was an urgent need to rebuild forcibly severed diplomatic relations. For this purpose, diplomats were initially dispatched to the discovered countries, one after another, to establish diplomatic ties. However, this stance inadvertently plunged Japan into a new conflict.

The first to occur was the Lourian War. It was a war where the Principality of Qua-Toyne, the first friendly nation in this world, was invaded by its neighbor, the Kingdom of Louria. Due to resource supply issues, the National Defense Force was deployed to end the conflict.

Next was the Japanese-Parpaldian War.

The incident began when a fleet dispatched by Japan to the military festival held in the island nation of Fenn, located to the west from Japan's perspective, got embroiled in the conflict between the Kingdom of Fenn and the Parpaldia Empire. The situation escalated after the attackers were repelled, leading to the later massacre of Japanese nationals and eventually full-scale war with the Parpaldia Empire. In this way, after the dimensional shift, Japan, amidst a state of confusion, indiscriminately expanded its reach, making itself a target for extremely aggressive nations and being forced into unwanted wars. To prevent such a situation from happening again, present-day Japan has devised a solid strategy.

So, let's take a look at Japan's strategy in this world.

Japan's fundamental stance hasn't changed from the old world. Above all, the preservation of the nation itself takes precedence. For this, what's needed is firstly, resources; secondly, markets; and thirdly, buffer zones.

Firstly, resources include food necessary for all living beings to survive, minerals required to drive industries, and fuel necessary to operate electronics and logistics. Without these, it would be difficult for a nation, or even a living being, to survive.