Jiang Zhilan was currently slumped on the edge of the bed, his head pillowed on his arms and his hand refusing to let go of Liu Qingyuan's. The dark smudges under his eyes spelt out his exhaustion, though the tension in his face had faded enough for him to doze off.

Once all extraneous servants had left the room, or were resting momentarily in the outer room before leaving, Eunuch Shuang approached the king, patting him lightly on the shoulder. "Your majesty,"

"Mhm?" Jiang Zhilan blearily raised his head, eyes struggling to stay open.

"You should go rest."

Jiang Zhilan tightened his grip, glancing over Liu Qingyuan's sleeping face. "I'm okay, I'll just sit for a while."

"Your majesty, morning court is in just a few hours." But Jiang Zhilan refused to budge. Eunuch Shuang sighed internally, eyeing Liu Qingyuan with pity. Nobody knew how much the king doted on him. He silently wiped away the tears in his heart. His poor king, wu wu wu... "Your majesty," He tried again, "What if you collapse when he wakes up? Won't that make him worried and hinder his recovery?" He tried to subtly hint, playing towards logic that he thought the king would like.

Jiang Zhilan, "..." Don't think I'm blind. But he still stood up. "Fine-ugh!" He stumbled, nearly falling as Eunuch Shuang hurriedly supported him.

"Your majesty! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine," He placated him, "My leg is just numb." Eunuch Shuang helped Jiang Zhilan to a chair, only remembering later the wound on his leg.

"Your majesty! Your wound!" Jiang Zhilan grabbed him before he could make a fuss.

"It's healed."

"But it's only been a few days..." Jiang Zhilan looked at him. Did he forget he had the phoenix mark? But Eunuch Shuang gazed back with stubborn eyes and Jiang Zhilan could only relent and let him summon the doctor again. He leaned against the table, propping his brow on his hand, a deep exhaustion snaking its way down his body. He only opened his eyes again at the sound of approaching footsteps.

The doctor limped forward, the smile on his face uglier than crying. Aiya! He'd just laid down, did you know how hard it was to get back up again? "Your majesty, forgive me for offending."

"Mhm." Jiang Zhilan untied the bloody robe, picking apart his clothes. A milky, well-shaped thigh came into view, following the slight curvature of the bone. The doctor ignored everything else, only pinching the slightly stained bandage. Once the gauze fell away, the two servants couldn't help but look up in astonishment. "What?" Although the wound wasn't originally deep, it had already healed after only a couple days, leaving a small circle of pink, tender flesh that would soon disappear completely in a day or so. The doctor couldn't help bowing down.

"Your majesty's dragon body is blessed."

"See? Didn't I tell you it was fine?"

"Ah yes..." Eunuch Shuang reluctantly agreed. With his movements, the stiff, bloody sleeves scratched lightly against Jiang Zhilan's wrists, reminding him of his filthy attire. He grimaced.

"Go prepare a bath."

"You're dismissed as well," Jiang Zhilan addressed the doctor, "Go back and have a good rest. You did well."

"Thank you, your majesty." The doctor packed up his medicine chest and the two of them left.

◆◇◆◇◆

Jiang Zhilan's figure approached the bed, his hair still slightly damp and his skin eluding the faint fragrance of bath salts. He carefully climbed over Liu Qingyuan, laying down on the inner portion of the bed. Jiang Zhilan gazed at the man's sleeping profile, tracing the arch of his brows and the curve of his pale lips. He leaned against Liu Qingyuan's arm, silently closing his eyes. Even if the future was uncertain, he won't let anything happen to him again.