chapter forty-seven.

camila was on a winning streak.

race after race, as the weeks passed, it was now the second last race of the season, and anticipation lingered in the air for the weekend ahead.

so far, things were going smoothly for max and camila, and although they both were aggressive and hungry on the track, they'd managed to make it work off the track. after each race weekend, they'd still end up wrapped in each others arms, their love would always be too strong for their competitiveness to win.

and now, it was as though camila never had issues with the car to begin with, because if she won this weekend, there would be another abu dhabi showdown for the championship.

they would have to go down to the wire, all over again.

at the beginning of the season, it had been red bull v ferrari, and now, it was just red bull v red bull.

camila couldn't push aside the anxiety that was beginning to linger in the air. there were so many what-ifs. what if this championship tore them apart like the first one? what if things would somehow go back to the way they were?

camila couldn't afford that, she couldn't afford loosing max again.

but her hunger to win felt stronger. she needed this championship, she needed it last year, but she didn't get it. this was going to be her redemption.

her attention was completely on winning, she couldn't focus on anything else.

and so was max's, but he couldn't ignore the frustrating way camila was preparing for the race.

he'd spent the past week constantly waiting around for her, only to find out she was still busy training or doing something else. yes, max was also doing the same, but at least he'd still made the effort to acknowledge his girlfriend. camila was acting like he didn't exist to her.

it was a quiet afternoon in brazil, and camila was currently at the hotel gym, lewis joining her.

camila was on the treadmill cooling down, whilst lewis was lifting some weights, camila also laughing at one point, as she caught him taking shirtless mirror pictures.

"so..." lewis trailed off, continuing his bicep curls. "feeling nervous about the championship?" he asked, as camila turned her head to look him.

she shrugged. "just trying to stay focused, i don't really want to think about any of the consequences" she admitted with a sigh.

"consequences?" lewis raised a brow, pausing his workout for a minute to sip from his water bottle.

here we go.

camila sighed, pausing her cool down on the treadmill.

"i just don't wanna get too in my head about everything, especially with max. i mean he hates loosing, and so do i. but it's just — it feels different now." she admitted quietly, as lewis slowly nodded his head in understanding.

he knew this was bound to happen, he knew camila would eventually struggle to separate her feelings for max off and on the track. it was one of the main reasons he'd been so hesitant about the two being a couple in the first place.

"look..." lewis trailed off, preparing to give his friend some advice. "remember our first championship fight?" he asked, as camila nodded slowly, confused were lewis was going with this.

"we agreed not to talk for two whole weeks, because we both knew we wanted to win just as much as each other" he began, as camila nodded slowly in remembrance.

"i know how badly you want to win — this is the most hungry i've ever seen you, so i know you'll do whatever it takes. and i'm sure max will understand why you're keeping your distance. if that's what it costs to win, it's worth the risk, max would probably do the same." he reasoned sternly.