chapter forty-three.

max hid in his driver room for hours. he ignored camila's calls too.

and it broke his fucking heart every single time her name continued to illuminate his screen.

4+ missed calls: Mila 💛

his guilt consumed him, and as he stared blankly at the missed calls, max finally settled on typing out a message to her.

Max 💙
Sorry Mila, I'm not feeling very well.
I'll see you tomorrow ❤️❤️

Mila 💛
Oh
What's wrong?
Are you going to be alright on your own?

Max 💙
Just not feeling great after quali,
I promise I'll be okay though

Mila 💛
Ok, please look after yourself
I'll see you tomorrow amor ❤️

Max 💙
See you tomorrow mijn liefje ❤️

max sighed, shutting off his phone as he left the paddock which was practically a ghost town by now, that's how long he'd been hiding in his driver room for. he felt the knots in his stomach grow tighter and tighter, especially after he'd just lied to camila.

he cried himself to sleep.

he cried when he woke up for the race today.

he cried in his driver room after he promised camila
he was okay when she'd asked him.

max was probably depressed.

and camila was worried about max.

first it was him ignoring her calls last night, then his bloodshot eyes as he walked into the paddock today. and throughout the entire driver parade, he looked as though he'd seen a ghost.

camila stood next to lewis, the two of them smiling and waving to the fans in spa, who passionately cheered.

lewis noticed how camila kept looking over at max, worried as she fidgeted and bit her cheek.

"cam" lewis placed a hand on her shoulder, "you alright?"

snapping out of her thoughts, camila turned to look at a concerned lewis.

"yeah..." she sighed, running a hand over her face. "it's just... the car and the whole foul play thing" camila trailed off, and lewis waited for her to continue. "what if something's actually going on? or am i just being paranoid?" she worried.

lewis sighed. "camila, trust your gut. if you think there's something wrong you need to talk to christian or the engineers" he warned, as camila slowly nodded in response, grateful for the advice.

so that's what she was going to do. but for now, there was still the race to focus on. camila was starting in p16, and she had a lot of work to do in hopes of making sure the gap between herself and max didn't grow any larger than it already was.

the engine hummed, as camila took her place in 16th, anticipation filling in the air as the lights were soon to go out.

"it's lights out and away we go in spa!"

camila immediately got a good start, and with the red bull's unmatchable speed on the straights, she was able to complete effortless overtakes on that part of the circuit, with points contention in grasp.

yet her anxiety couldn't help but reach unspeakable highs with each sharp turn, as camila was now reluctant to go late on the breaking like she usually would, resulting in loosing precious time.