CHAPTER 8 : Encounters

"AHHH!"

She swerved to the side and sped away again.

"STOP IT, MALFOY! STOP CHASING ME!" Eirian yelled as she clutched the broom with shaky hands.

" Scared, Onyx?!" he yelled from behind her.

He was quickly catching up.

"MALFOY, PLEASE! I'M GOING TO FALL!" she cried as she lowered her body to speed up.

" If I didn't know any better, Onyx, I'd have said this is your first time flying!" he called into the wind that was rushing past.

Eirian stayed quiet as she shot along the side of the quidditch stadium like a bolt of lightning.

It was her first time on a broom and certainly her last.

Before she could process it, Malfoy raced up beside her and she was blocked on both sides. On impulsive, she pulled her broom up and started racing straight into the sky above, with Malfoy behind her. She felt like she could fly into eternity as she looked at nothing but sky.

It was amazing!

But then the scene flipped and suddenly she was falling.

She gasped in shock as she sped past Malfoy down again.

She swiftly turned and got her seat on the broom.

Now her vision was filled with nothing but ground rushing straight to her and she felt her stomach lurch as her organs shifted.

Pulling the broom up just in time to avoid collision, the broom went out of control.

Blurred shapes spun around her as she swerved through the air and then the castle suddenly came into view.

She tried to gain control again as she maneuvered to circumvent the high towers, barely making it.

It was Wednesday morning and the classes for the day had just ended a few hours prior.

Malfoy had suggested they go flying on brooms, which Eirian had never done before.

Of course, she hadn't said a word about it, seeing as she was trying to steer clear of any suspicion that she might be a Mudblood.

Well, to say the least, it had been a very wise decision. Look where that had brought her!

She panicked as the courtyard quickly came into view. She tried to pull up again, but it was too late.

She crashed into the ground savagely and lay limp for a moment, but then turned on her back and looked at the sky as she tried to get her breathing under control.

She closed her eyes and let herself calm down.

" Are you alright?" a sudden voice said, making Eirian turn her head.

Upon doing so, she was met with a teenage boy holding out a hand to her.

He had wavy brunette hair that reached his shoulders and hazel green eyes that looked kind and caring.

Eirian immediately yerked back when she saw him. It was the one who had guarded the compartment door of the train when she had dueled!

He clearly had the little "cult's" earring in his right ear and two rings in his left that signified his rank in the group.

He smiled slightly, but with a sympathetic frown, and took his hand back.

" I understand your weariness, but I must tell you : I mean no harm."

Eirian stayed silent and assessed him. He realised she was staring at his earrings and spoke : " Ah - these... I'm not allowed to take them off."

"Right..." Eirian said with great suspicion.