Chapter 7

Daphne and Amelia were walking together. The opening ceremony was a bit of a downer in Amelia's opinion. She doesn't care she is in Slytherin. Truly, it's just a name for her. But the overwhelming majority of the Slytherins were a bunch of little kids. As if they couldn't live without having an enemy or rival or someone to bully.

Even the announcement of something legendary as the Triwizard Tournament didn't raise her spirits. What bothered her the most was Hermione. She had not spoken to her ever since she was sorted. They had the chance when they left the Great Hall. Hermione chose not to, though.

"She'll come around," Daphne said eventually, noticing the gloomy mood of Amelia. "You said so yourself."

"I know..."

"Then why the long face?"

"It still hurts."

"Yeah," Daphne sighed, her eyes looking to another girl, younger than herself. It was a girl with black hair and dark eyes, seemingly popular with some of the other Slytherins. "I suppose I can't say it's impossible for you two to become estranged. It happened to me and Asteria. My sister, you see."

"Truly? Because...?"

Daphne let a breath pass her lips, gazing ahead of her where the Slytherins are heading. "Something for another time. When I know you a bit better."

"Sure. Ugh, maybe I just need to settle in and talk with her later this week."

Daphne shrugged. "You know her better than me. But come, we're approaching the common room. Listen to the prefect and buddy up to him, he may just give you some protection against Malfoy."

"This house is toxic..." Amelia grumbled as they continued down the stairs. It only made Daphne chuckle in response. She patted her on the shoulder in sympathy.

"At least you can pick the place where you want to sleep. With boys and girls separated, of course," said Daphne in sympathy. "There is a bed in my room that is still open. Multiple ones, in fact."

"Don't tell me you sleep alone."

She shrugged in response. "More space for me. Catch you later, Black."

The air was growing colder as they descended, especially as they reached the lower levels. They soon began to approach a specific wall, slightly wet from the damp in the air. They must be close or even underneath the lake. The prefect gave a password, loudly and clearly, to make a door slide open. A hole, to be more specific, which was large enough for any-sized student to enter.

Daphne went her own way from there, leaving Amelia to listen to the prefect. She was considering the advice from Daphne, cozying up to the prefect. Ultimately, she didn't want to. Her decision was to stand up for her sister, and she will own it and deal with the consequences. Perhaps it was her pride, but she didn't care. Others shouldn't pay for what she decided to do or say.

"Listen up, first years. This is the common room," the prefect said, addressing the crowd of new Slytherins. There weren't a lot of them, though. While Amelia's opinion about Slytherin's current state was not the best, the common room is amazing.

It was like a large domed room, consisting of the highest luxury. Large windows allowed a peek into the murky waters of the lake, giving it a greenish tint. Around the space were green curtains and other decorations showing the pride of Slytherin. Amelia wouldn't be surprised if the richest students dwelled here.

Within the room were cozy leather sofas and seats with three fireplaces to warm the space. In between the relaxing and soft-looking furniture were various tables and workplaces. Amelia would say she wasn't as disappointed in the place she'll sleep at. It makes her wonder where the whole 'family' aspect went to.