Chapter 2

Hermione sat in contemplative silence during dinner.

The letter was always in reach, as if she would see some hidden mystery behind the words. But there wasn't. Hours went by yet nothing revealed itself. It was a legitimate parchment made by Dumbledore. To see someone being admitted at this age was a shock for her. Only transfer students would be fitting in the category.

But it wasn't the age that shocked Hermione the most. It was the name written on it. Black. The same family name shared by Sirius Black. It is an infamous family of witches and wizards. Only Sirius Black has shown any positivity towards her kind. Those born to muggles that is.

The rest were pure-blood idealists. Just look at Bellatrix Lestrange. The cousin of Sirius was one of the worst in recent memory. A devout follower of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. How could Amelia be part of that legacy?

"Mum, dad? How did Amelia end up in our family?"

The two shared a brief glance at each other. Miss Granger let a sigh past a her lips, her shoulder lowering a little as she shift on her seat. Hermione watched patiently, her eyes switching between her mother and father.

"We don't know, love," said her mother with a sigh. Her father nodded in tandem, putting a hand on his wife's hand.

"It was like a children's story in many ways," her dad added. "A baby, dropped on our doorstep with a single note. 'Take care of Amelia. For she is no longer safe within her family. Make sure she is happy.' That's all the note said."

"Do you have the note?" Hermione asked. Her parent shook their heads.

Their faces looked solemn which made Hermione's lips press together, feeling sad already to not know more. Not for her own curiosity's sake, but for Amelia. She deserves to know. Whether she is a Black or not, she is her little sister. She will always be her best friend. It's only right she knows who her parents are.

"We kept the note..." her mother said after a second of silence. She moved to one of the cupboards and opened a drawer. "But the text disappeared. We couldn't make heads or tails of it. I figure it may be due to a magic effect after you entered Hogwarts."

Hermione took the piece of parchment. Yet it was all it was. There were no words written on it. Not a spot of ink anywhere. She turned it twice, hoping to see some mark or sign of magic. But there wasn't anything. Just a ripped piece of parchment.

"How odd..." Hermione murmured as she laid it back on the table. "I can't tell what the charm or jinx may be... Well, I suppose we just have to wait and see what professor Dumbledore will say."

"I wish we knew more, dear," her mother said with a sigh. "But see it as a positive thing. She'll join you at Hogwarts. I am sure she'll be delighted at hearing it. After all those lessons you have given her, she will be more than ready."

Yes, there lesson were not a waist after all, Hermione thought. Who knew? And given what she saw during the chest game... She may just be good enough to join her year. That blew her mind for moment as she paused for a moment to think of a response. Given how good Amelia remembered things... she will do splendidly.

After all, Hermione is confident she taught everything perfectly.

"Yes," said Hermione, nodding her as her lips began to form a smile. "That actually sounds brilliant! I would love to have her at Hogwarts with me."

"Well, I am sure she will be too," her father said, his face expressing how pleased he is to see her happy. "Now, off to bed with you. We'll visit Amelia and to speak with her tomorrow. Hopefully, the treatment has worked."

Hermione did as asked yet can't help but think about the future. Well, having Amelia come to Hogwarts with her. She is certain Harry and Ron will welcome her into their friend group. Then she thought about what will happen first. The sorting ceremony. Which House will she be assigned to? Hermione hopes it will be Gryffindor.