six

Bella

As I walked through the grand halls of the mansion, a heavy weight settled in my chest. The encounter with Xavier replayed in my mind like a broken record, each word slicing through me with a precision that left me feeling raw and exposed. How could he be so callous, so indifferent to my presence?

"Ignore him, Bella. He's always been like that," a voice said from behind me. I turned to see Miranda, the housekeeper, offering me a sympathetic smile.

"It's not just him, Miranda. None of them seem to want me here," I replied, my voice tinged with frustration.

Miranda sighed, her expression pained. "They have their reasons, Bella. It's not easy for them either, you know."

I wanted to argue, to demand answers, but I knew Miranda wouldn't have them. Instead, I forced a tight smile and continued on my way, my footsteps echoing in the silence of the mansion.As I turned a corner, I nearly collided with Matteo, his cold gaze sending a shiver down my spine.

"Watch where you're going," he muttered, sidestepping me without a second glance.

I watched him go, a knot forming in my stomach. It seemed like every interaction with my brothers only served to drive home the fact that I didn't belong here.

But then, as Matteo disappeared around the corner, something caught my eye—a flicker of recognition, a glimmer of familiarity. I frowned, my brow furrowing as I tried to make sense of it. And then it hit me—the resemblance. Matteo bore a striking resemblance to me, with the same dark hair and piercing eyes.

I shook my head, trying to push aside the unsettling thought. What did it matter if Matteo and I shared some superficial similarities? It didn't change the fact that he wanted nothing to do with me, that he saw me as nothing more than an intruder in his world.

With a heavy heart, I continued on my way, my mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Betrayal, anger, sadness—they swirled together in a turbulent storm, threatening to engulf me in their darkness.

But amidst the chaos, a small voice whispered in the back of my mind—a voice that refused to be silenced, that refused to give up hope.

"You can't let them get to you, Bella," I whispered to myself, steeling my resolve. "You're stronger than this. You can make your own place here, no matter what they think."

With renewed determination, I squared my shoulders and continued down the hallway, each step a testament to my resilience. I may have been alone, but I refused to be defeated. Not by Xavier, not by Matteo, not by anyone.

The mansion seemed to stretch on endlessly, its corridors winding and twisting like a maze. I had lost track of time, lost in my own thoughts as I wandered aimlessly through its halls. But eventually, exhaustion began to set in, the weight of the day's events bearing down on me like a heavy burden.

I needed to find my way back to my room, to retreat to the safety of its confines and escape the prying eyes of my brothers. But as I turned yet another corner, I found myself faced with a dead end—a solid wall of mahogany, its surface adorned with intricate carvings and ornate detailing. Frustration bubbled up inside me as I realized I had taken a wrong turn, my sense of direction failing me once again. I leaned against the wall, pressing my palms against its smooth surface as I tried to steady my breathing.

And then, just as I was about to turn back the way I had come, I heard voices—a faint murmur coming from somewhere nearby. Curiosity piqued, I followed the sound, rounding another corner and coming face to face with a pair of ornate double doors.