Chapter four

Makenna stood there Infront of the bathroom mirror . She ran her fingers beneath her eyes along her cheekbones and stared at her reflection , two different eyes stared back at her.  She yanked out the hair tie letting her wavy hair flow free and bounce off her shoulders. She fiddled with carved barbell in her eyebrow.  Her eyes trailed down the length of of body , her body was well toned , her copper-tone skin flawless , and her hour-glass figure showed off the right amount of curves.  Genetics. Her mother was a beautiful Latina with the most gorgeous honey-brown hair she'd seen , it was soft and silky. She had to have gotten her good looks from her mother. The only thing she got from her father was her freaky eyes.  "What's the matter?" She tilted her head back , strands of golden-brown hair swept across her back. It was clear this apparition of a man wasn't going away anytime soon. Rather he was indeed part of her imagination or actually real , she no longer cared. It felt somewhat nice to have her brother back.  Those concerned amber eyes of his watched her every movement. "Did she say something hurtful?" Makenna rolled her neck and faced herself in the mirror again. She knew Savannah wouldn't intentionally say things to upset or anger her. Even if , sometimes things slipped out once in awhile . "She compared me to a gangster. Do I really put off a thuggish vibe?" Santiago ran his fingers through his shaggy , untrimmed golden-blonde hair. "Are you being serious?" He winced his eyes as he thought about what to say. Stuffing his hands in the back pockets of his grey sweats , Santiago rocked back and forth on his feet and sighed. "No , Kenna. You may be a pain in the arse and have an outrageous attitude, but you're not a thug ."

Santiago wasn't good at being a big brother . At least he didn't think he was. Makenna could be a righteous bitch when she wanted to be and he had to admit she drove him utterly and completely insane .  Even though , she was a pain in his ass , he still didn't like seeing her down in the dumps. All this time he tried to communicate with her and she just blew him off , secretly hoping that he was just an illusion conjured by her fractured mind. Still , he continued to push forth his presence and finally he was able to get her to notice him. It took so long , but he was glad she was speaking to him again. He hated the silence . " Are you really that bothered by it?" He questioned . The corner of her mouth twitched . "If you haven't noticed , brother . There's crazy people running the streets . Killing townsfolk and burglarizing their homes. What if she's right ? What if I really do look like some gang banger . No wonder no one wants to approach me ." Santiago leaned against the doorframe .  He blew a few strands of hair from his eyes and laid his head against the frame then clicked his tongue . "So , what? When did you start caring about what people thought of you. " His sister's eyes lowered , her gaze dropping to her bare feet.  Santiago could tell her mind was overcrowded with thoughts just by the way she retreated into herself and went silent .  Groaning , he pushed his body off the frame  and walked closer towards her , reaching  out his hand to touch her shoulder , but changed his mind and retracted it back to his side .  The sound of her bedroom door creaking open had his head turning   , her best friend slowly stepped inside the room and looked around till she noticed Makenna in the bathroom. Santiago stayed hidden from her sight , but stayed close enough so Makenna could still feel his presence.

"Pookie? Are you mad at me..." Savannah's bare feet dragged through the carpet as she made her way towards the bathroom. She placed her hand on door knob and leaned against the door . "I'm sorry , I guess I shouldn't have called you a gangster." She tapped her nails on the steel knob and nibbled on her bottom lip. "I—I guess maybe I should watch what I say , eh?" Makenna turned to face her , she leaned against the sink and tapped her nails on the marble . "Savannah ," She began , " It's fine." Vanna chewed the inside of her cheek. Makenna had used her first name . She had never in the two years that they have been friends , has she ever called her anything but her nickname . She didn't know if she should be happy or upset . "Are you sure?" She asked.  Makenna lolled her head side to side and took a deep breath then released it slowly , flipping herself around she stared at Vanna from the mirror's reflection. "Yeah ," She said , her voice low. "I'm sure." She pushed past Vanna and walked over to her nightstand to grab her cellphone . She typed in her password to unlock the screen then scrolled through her missed messages . Savannah smacked her lips and looked around the room. Clasping her hands infront of her , she took a few steps towards the edge of the bed and cleared her throat . "Is it alright if I sleep over tonight? " She glanced at the curtains , the dimming sunlight peek through the cracks . "It's not safe to drive on the roads at night. " Makenna checked the time on her phone then looked up at Vanna. "That's fine . You can take one of the spare bedrooms. "