Chapter six

"Jeez , he's fast for an old timer." Peppa walked up behind the dog  .  She folded over at the hips with her hands on her knees , catching her breath . "Talk about a workout." Feng glanced up from the keyboard to look at his sister . He pinched his lips and narrowed his eyes , "Mhm. Sounds like to me someone needs to cut back on those snack cakes and get in shape ." His little sister  unwrapped the leash from around her body and crouched down to clip it to the dog's collar.  "Maybe someone should mind their own business," she mumbled , straightening herself upright and gently pulling on the leash so the animal would follow her back to the room. Feng rolled his eyes and went back to taping away on the keyboard .  Makenna avoided stepping in the wet various wet spots that littered the spacious area . She stepped up to the desk and leaned over the top  , snapping her fingers to get Feng's attention. When he turned his gaze on her , she motioned towards the liter boxes . "Aren't you going to change those?"

The twenty seven year old sat the clipboard down beside the keyboard and turned to face her , he clasped his hands together and leaned over the desk , his face just a tad to close to hers. "Cleaning cat shit isn't part of my job description. Why don't you do it yourself . You are the hired help , are you not? Why should I get my hands dirty , when you can do it for me." He smirked and moved away. Feng flipped through the papers and continued updating information on the shelter's website . Why you little piece of shit. She tapped her fingers on the smooth , wooden surface of the desk. Her eyes burning holes into the side of his head. She was about to spew as many hateful words she could think of from the top of her head , but Ms.Eunho's soft , delicate voice stopped her . "Makenna , I'm so glad you could make it." The short , older woman wobbled towards her with her cane in hand . She pulled her into a quick embrace then headed over to where her son  was standing with his eyes glued to the computer screen. She smacked him in the back of the head. Feng whipped around to face her , his hand instinctively lifting to rub the sore spot . "Ow , Ma. What was that for?" The two of them exchanged words in a language that Makenna wasn't familiar with.  She glanced around , looking at the paintings on the walls as the two of them continued to argue back and forth. The  entrance door swung  open . Makenna grimaced at the sight of the annoying man from yesterday.  Of all places , why is my luck so bad.

"Kier , what you brings you here?" Ms. Eunho asked , her face brightened and a large smile stretched from cheek to cheek.  The tall , muscular man strutted through the door with a grin . Now that she was able to get a good look at him , she wouldn't deny the fact that Vanna was right. Just like his friends , he too , was also quite handsome. His sea-green eyes landed on her ,  grin widening as he moved closer to where she stood.  Makenna bit her inner cheek and took in his appearance as he grew closer . She figured  he was possibly close to six foot , maybe even a bit more taller than that.  By the way his head was daring to close to the low ceiling , he must be a giant . She shrunk into herself , the man was making her feel like a itty bitty ant.  Even through the thin , white turtleneck he wore , she could see the outline of his  defined , well-built body. Her eyes shifted to those tree trunk sized arms of his . The fabric of his shirt stretched as he tossed his arms behind his head and chuckled , "Like what you see ?"  Makenna clicked her tongue and forced a smile . "Most definitely not."

"Bro , did you get your hair done again?" Feng snickered , pointing at Kieran's  hair that had been recently cut into a low fade and dyed a light auburn . He leaned against the desk with a shit eating grin upon his face . "What are you a girl or something ? Need to get your hair done after each breakup to feel better about yourself ." His mother whacked him in the chest and mumbled something in their language that had the man tensing up. Makenna looked between the three of them. From their flawless , light brown skin , their double-lid eyes ,  and to their high straight noses  . It clicked . Her gaze rested on the man standing a foot from her . "Are you related to them? She asked. Kieran stuffed his large , leather gloved hands into the front pockets of his faded blue jeans and chuckled softly . "Just cause all Asians look alike doesn't mean we are related."  She opened her mouth to apologize but Ms. Eunho cut her off before she could , "Yes. We're related. Kieran is my sister's son. He's my nephew ."